TONYLEUNG.INFO
Discuss Tony Leung with fellow fans!

Welcome to the Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
  Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages   
Click here to go to Archival Tony Board (2003-2012)

Shang-Chi (Spoiler Discussion)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Tony Leung Movies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:48 am    Post subject: Shang-Chi (Spoiler Discussion) Reply with quote

Hi everyone. I thought I'd start a new thread for those who have seen the film and want to talk about it.

I watched it today. I wanted to watch it at a theater close to where I live but most theaters were sold out or only had seats in the front row so I got on a train and went to a theater 1 hour away to see it on IMAX.

I loved it. It's feels very refreshing and different to other Marvel movies. I think the core of the movie is Shang-Chi and his relationship with his Father Wenwu. The characters felt very real and I wasn't expecting to feel so much sympathy for Wenwu. His motivations are not evil and are easy to relate to. The movie is about him as much as it is about Shang-Chi. He has a complete character arc from start to finish and it's my favorite part of the movie.

Last edited by Paul on Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Safran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Paul
Many thanks for starting this promising new thread.
Yesterday this movie started in the biggest movie centre of my home town. Honestly speaking, I'm not a "Marvel Comic - Universe" - fan, but will watch because of Tony's role of Wenwu asap of course.
Reading your brief first review was helpful and made me very curious about the father-son relationship of the two main male characters.
Btw: In a first Austrian movie review in a serious newspaper, Tony's way of acting his role, was described as "brilliant" !!! ( In Simo Liu's "Shang Shi" the critic missed more "colour" in playing the character ) However: I'will watch my first Marvel-movie (!) on the big screen very soon....and will primarily enjoy watching dear Tony once again ....after a very long time. Dancing Very Happy love

Cheers ! .... dear fellow fan Waving
Helga
yitian

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven’t watched it yet. Plan to do do in the middle of next week when movie theaters are less packed. Just want to be cautious during this pandemic period. I feel so tormented these days because I really really want to watch the movie sooner Crying or Very sad .
yitian

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks you Paul for starting this thread. I hope this will be the longest one in the Forum Very Happy .

The website is a little unstable. It often doesn’t exist when I try to access, don’t know why Think .
Safran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Yitian

Same considerations here Think .
Like you, I'm waiting impatietly to watching Tony's latest "Coup" love

Warm regards from Austria Waving
yitian

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have IMAX, 3D, Dolby Atmos, plus regular screen here. I plan to go through them one by one in the next month… So anxiously and happily waiting 😂.
Paul

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The movie has a 98% audience score on the website rotten tomatoes and currently 8.1 on IMDB. People really like it. I'm glad it's doing so well. I read news that it broke the Labor Day weekend record in America and it's on it's way to making $85 million over 4 days. Wow.

yitian wrote:

The website is a little unstable. It often doesn’t exist when I try to access, don’t know why Think .

I was having similar problems too.
yitian

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is so exciting. Audience scores on Rotten tomatoes opened with 98% positive rating and went up to 99% the following day 💪. Tony’s performance is praised by every movie critics, regardless whether they gave a fresh or a rotten tomato to the movie itself, I come across so far. I very much look forward to enjoy this soon…… Can’t wait……

Sadly, the high box office in North America means a more crowded movie theater, and hence a little less safe Sad .
mary

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Paul for starting this thread appreciate hearing other fans stories and comments.

Monday 6th September 5.15pm finally got to see this much anticipated Marvel Movie on a big screen near me. Happy Happy Days I got to see Tony Leung Chiu Wai THE BEST ACTOR IN THE WORLD, amazing to be part of this cinematic history as not enough of Tony's movies reach cinemas here in Ireland.

Sat through 15 minutes of film Trailers can't recount what was promoted as only one movie with THE BEST ACTOR IN THE WORLD on my mind.

Tony as usual never disappoints bringing real emotions to his Wenwu character making him and this movie very believable drawing us in making us see his human side and care about what happens to him and his family.

The action fight scenes are magic so much hard work put into them by everyone, as usual Tony giving everything he has to his role

I've seen a couple of the Marvel movies can't say I'm a fan of them losing interest as just action movies with no real emotional attachment. I watched Iron Man 3 on TV so could have an idea of who The Mandarin is as obviously trawling the internet reading as much as possible about Tony and this new movie. Shang Chi and The Legend Of The Ten Rings is far more superior due to fantastic acting bringing new dimensions to The Marvel series of films.

The director was very astute choosing Tony for this role he lifted it above the norm. Tony is an ambassador for Asia and actors all over the world showcasing his skills learned through many years of hard work showing everyone what acting should be. We can only be in wonder of this multi talented legend.

The whole movie was enjoyable everyone had their part to play and played them well but apologies to the other actors as I'm biased towards Tony I feel he out acted everyone holding the movie together.

Michelle Yeoh demonstrated very fancy moves in her action scenes if only I could move like that. Tony and Michelle showcase how fantastic you can be when you look after yourself properly not eating that second bar of chocolate or being a couch potato. You 2 never seem to age. If you want to be the best you have to be determined and work hard at being the best can't be easy shows great willpower.

Water plays a part in the movie used to great advantage especially in one scene with Tony and Fala Chan when they first met, it's a ladies moment.

Music also used was surprised to hear one of the best songs in the world being played as never would associate it with a Marvel Movie. I heard it live in the 90's when this very famous band had a concert in Ireland, made me feel very nostalgic.

Shang Chi is still in cinemas here it's on many times but as I'm a working girl will probably only get to see it once more before it's run is over, can't wait to see it again.

Helga and Yitian hope you get to see it soon wish you every enjoyment. Enjoy reading your posts you both keep this forum going thank you for allowing us to see and read so much about our brilliant idol.

Hope everyone gets to see and enjoy this movie.

Everyone keep safe and well it's been trying times through COVID 19 hopefully the worst is over.

Tony wish you well in everything you do.

All my best wishes...Mary
Safran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello dear Mary flower

What a joy to see you here again.

Till today, I unfortunately had no chance to watch Shang-Chi yet, but I surely will asap - A MUST Exclamation of course sunny (Mainly because of Tony and his exceptionel acting skills, honestly speaking).
Reading your personal impressions, arouse even the more anticipation..haha.

Many thanks once again for your warm lines and for most loveably sharing your personal view and impressions with us.
Enjoy your second screening, dear Irish friend Very Happy

TAKE CARE !... Stay happy, healthy and safe thumbleft Waving

Warm regards from Austria ~
Helga
yitian

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So good to see you here Mary! I checked seating at a local movie theater today and found it was still highly occupied for afternoon screens. I couldn't hold any longer and so I went straight to see the movie on a IMAX screen Very Happy . I feel waiting long will make me miss a lot of spoiler containing movie reviews and places like here. I have so much fun reading all kinds of stuff on Rotten Tomatos, IMDB, IG, Twitters etc. I love it when I see people praise Tony's performance up to the sky Laughing Laughing , which he rightly deserves. I feel Tony's emotional performance really carried the movie to the current high ratings and popularity.

There are lots of Mandarin Chinese spoken in the movie with subtitles. Some of the lines in Chinese are quite funny but difficult to translate. Subtitles only show the meaning, which is a some kind of loss to Western audiences.

mary wrote:
Water plays a part in the movie used to great advantage especially in one scene with Tony and Fala Chan when they first met, it's a ladies moment.
This is one of the highlights that made me giggle Laughing Laughing . On the other hand, I also love and am deeply moved by all those emotional scenes - all from Tony Crying or Very sad .

I definitely will go back to see this several more times love .
Safran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy you ! Very Happy
I'm still waiting in the wings angel ....with increasing anticipation Dancing

See you !
Paul

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mary wrote:

I think it's fair to say that the ladies moments in this film belong to Tony alone. Everyone is going to be pleased.

Quote:

Shang Chi is still in cinemas here it's on many times but as I'm a working girl will probably only get to see it once more before it's run is over, can't wait to see it again.

The next big movies won't be out until October. You have time. I'd like to see it again too.

yitian wrote:

There are lots of Mandarin Chinese spoken in the movie with subtitles. Some of the lines in Chinese are quite funny but difficult to translate. Subtitles only show the meaning, which is a some kind of loss to Western audiences.

I found a few articles online that talk about this and explain some of the dialogue in the movie in more detail.
https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/shang-chi-cooler-speak-mandarin-language-translation/

https://time.com/6095108/shang-chi-asian-representation/

I don't recommend people who haven't seen the movie reading these. They talk about some big plot points in the film.
Safran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally watched the movie on the big screen in 3D. ( (Hubby and me by far the oldest in the audience...haha)
No matter whether you like this kind of movie or not:
Tony is Tony sunny , is Tony sunny , is Tony sunny - unique and great Applause....and always a pleasure to watch ! love

Cheers !....everyone
amy0208

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched twice, one for the regular screen and a second time in DBOX theatre. Really love this movie and will try imax later. My friend who went to the movie with me now totally understand how I became a Tony fan. So happy to see all the praises people around the global have on this movie and Tony’s performance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Tony Leung Movies All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: