TONYLEUNG.INFO
Discuss Tony Leung with fellow fans!

Welcome to the Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
  Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages   
Click here to go to Archival Tony Board (2003-2012)

The Grandmaster
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 26, 27, 28  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Tony Leung Movies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yitian

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More deleted scene - thanks Info Very Happy
Info

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamaica

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AWESOME shots!!! Thanks, Info!!!
Tin-Yau

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An article from SCMP:
French cinematographer reflects on the years spent shooting an epic
http://www.scmp.com/lifestyle/arts-culture/article/1429666/french-cinematographer-reflects-years-spent-shooting-epic

French cinematographer reflects on the years spent shooting an epic

Cinematographer Philippe Le Sourd has been nominated for an Oscar for his work on Wong Kar-wai's latest film, but feels the director has been overlooked, writes Rachel Mok

PUBLISHED : Tuesday, 18 February, 2014, 10:18am
UPDATED : Tuesday, 18 February, 2014, 10:18am

When French cameraman Philippe Le Sourd won a Golden Horse award for his work on Wong Kar-wai's The Grandmaster in Taipei last November, his acceptance speech noted that the film had taken director Wong Kar-wai a long time to make.

This was also behind his disappointment when the martial arts drama failed to make the shortlist of five nominees for the Academy Awards' best foreign language picture.

"I was very sad, because Wong Kar-wai has spent five to six years of his life working very hard on the movie. His journey was very long compared to mine," says the cinematographer, who signed up to work with the infamously improvisational Hong Kong filmmaker for a six-month documentary project in 2009, and ended up spending three years shooting The Grandmaster.

"I was also very sad because we are all very proud of the film," he says.

Although the visually stylish film did not make the cut in the best foreign language film category, two members of its crew were singled out for recognition by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

Long-time Wong Kar-wai collaborator William Chang Suk-ping - described by Le Sourd as "the right arm of Kar-wai" - was nominated in the best achievement in costume design category, and the 50-year-old Le Sourd received his first Oscar nomination for best cinematography.

The cinematographer was born in Paris but now lives in New York with his family. He was back in the French capital when his wife called him with the news of his Oscar nomination.

He couldn't believe it then and still can't, he says. "The Oscars are like a dream, and I am still wondering if it's true. It will stay with me forever."

The cinematographer says he wanted to share this dream-come-true with The Grandmaster's director. "Without his vision for the cinematography and his high standards, I would not have achieved this," Le Sourd says. "It's a beautiful film and a beautiful project."

A graduate of the film school at New Sorbonne University (or Paris III as most people call it), Le Sourd worked as a photographer's assistant before becoming cinematographer Darius Khondji's assistant cameraman on films such as Delicatessen and The City of Lost Children.

After rising to become a director of photography, he worked on commercials with directors such as David Lynch and Sofia Coppola, as well as on feature films.

"Commercials are a great opportunity to meet all these visionary directors, and get a link to their feature film projects," he says.

In recent years, Le Sourd has been director of photography for Hollywood films such as Ridley Scott's A Good Year and Gabriele Muccino's Seven Pounds.

He worked with Wong on a couple of commercials, before moving to the project that eventually became The Grandmaster.

To help prepare for his work on Wong's film about storied wing chun master Ip Man, Le Sourd watched feature films and documentaries about the martial artist. He also visited museums with the filmmaker, and travelled to northeastern China to immerse himself in the world in which Zhang Ziyi's character, Gong Er, features prominently.

There was also the challenge of immersing himself in Wong's world, one in which a film project can have a three-year shooting schedule, and involve filming in harsh weather in remote locations, such as China's snowy northeast.

Language presented an obstacle too while he was working in China, Le Sourd says.

Then he had to contend with Wong's notorious penchant for shooting without a script, preferring to improvise as they went along. The cinematographer says he kept a journal that recorded the colours and lights he used in every scene - just in case he had to reshoot the same scene two years later.

"It took a long time for me to understand what Kar-wai was looking for. You never know what's behind his sunglasses," Le Sourd says.

The Frenchman thinks that working on The Grandmaster has influenced his world view. "The film reveals me in a certain way.

"Sometimes in life you have to pass through a long process to understand things. Today, my vision of my life and work is different. I learned to enjoy the present, to see beauty everywhere, and not to plan too much. I now know the value of patience!"

Working with the Shanghai-born auteur involved making discoveries every day, and that continued until the end. "I had an idea of the story, but the final cut was really a surprise." .

Le Sourd says Wong had initially contacted him to work on a martial arts documentary. "I was also very surprised to see the idea of a documentary appearing again in the final cut."

There was another surprise, too: he had shot so many scenes, he was amazed they had been edited down to around two hours.

The Grandmaster is the first film Le Sourd has worked on which has three versions, ranging in length from 108 minutes to 130 minutes.

But Le Sourd can see the logic of that. "The three edits [for various international regions] are different, and reflect the interests of different cultures around the world. I found it interesting that a director would edit films differently to reach his viewers."

Le Sourd says fellow Oscar nominee William Chang kept him inspired for the duration of the shoot.

"William is a talented person. He embraces the vision of the film in four departments: art direction, wardrobes, make-up and editing, and this makes him a very complete person.

"He's always thinking about light, textures, reflections and colours. He brings so many inspiring ideas to the set. It's really impressive to work with such a sensitive person."

Does Le Sourd think he will win that best cinematography Oscar next month? All he will say is that the nomination has increased his passion for filmmaking. For now, he is focusing on working on commercials rather than full-length features - mainly because they are short.

"I enjoy film the most, but after working with Kar-wai, commercials have their appeal. They are short, and you know what time you will go home each night," he says with a grin.

"Working on a commercial is like a vacation by comparison."

life@scmp.com
7thclouds

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:02 am    Post subject: Tony's Ipman is something more than a fighter Reply with quote

Mad
Tony's Ipman is nothing to compare.
Although I would give my best congratulations to the director Wong Kar Wai,Ms. Ziyi Zhang, Mr. Chen Chang and all the staff.
But,,,,,,,,appreciation for the Tony Ip man is where?????,must be there,,,???????!!,??!!!!!!!?????
I could not stop my sincere applause for Mr. Tony Leung even he left the Hong Kong Film Awards, tonight, 14 April 2014.

The Movie Grand Master in my view:
Yes, I love the elegant fighting scenes.
I appreciated that the hidden theme ? try to let all men and women to sense about our intelligence not to become enemies each other in the future under which era would come to the earth.

Tony's acting is not only excellent but is reaching to the depth of the IpMan
I would say, the point is not all about fighting scenes.
Tony's Ip man is/was a man before fighter.
Tony's Ipman is/was not only a fighter but also a man who struggled in the period of time of war as a noble man and a fighter who, with instinct, was seeking to protect something in himself. And he had found something similar in her.

No matter the prize goes to somewhere, I do believe Tony's Ipman is very much deeply and thoughtfully interpreted to the extent which could not fail to aspire every audience, which is especially bearable for everyone's insightful viewing of a life or two lives sticking to with their beliefs or rules even under such a harsh meaningless merciless cruel war initiated by Japan.

No matter the prize goes to somewhere, I do believe Tony's Ipman is very much deep and thoughtfully interpreted to the extent which could not fail to aspire every audience in insightfully viewing a life or two lives under the meaningless cruel war initiated by Japan.
yitian

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gener8 Breaks Into Chinese Market with 3D Conversion Contract for The Grandmaster
May 8, 2014, 12:59 p.m. EDT

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/gener8-breaks-into-chinese-market-with-3d-conversion-contract-for-the-grandmaster-2014-05-08?reflink=MW_news_stmp

May 08, 2014 (ACCESSWIRE via COMTEX) -- VANCOUVER, BC / ACCESSWIRE / May 8, 2014 / Gener8 Media Corp. (cse:GNR) ("Gener8" or the "Company"), a leader in 3D film conversion and data management software solutions for the entertainment industry, announced today it has signed a 3D conversion contract for The Grandmaster, a film produced by Hong-Kong-based Jet Tone Films, Annapurna Pictures and co-produced by Beijing-based Bona Film Group Limited BONA -1.55% .

Originally released in 2013, The Grandmaster is the story of martial arts master Ip Man, who later trained Bruce Lee. The film was directed and written by Wong Kar-Wai and stars Tony Leung as Ip Man. It was nominated for Best Cinematography (Philippe Le Sourd) and Best Costume Design (William Chang Suk Ping) at the 2014 Academy Awards.

"Our proposed partnership between Gener8's stereoscopic 3D conversion division and FFD will provide Gener8 with the capital and economies of scale to further develop our 3D conversion services and gain increased access to film producers and movie goers in China," said Rory Armes, founder and CEO of Gener8. "We are thrilled to convert the Academy Award nominated film, The Grandmaster."

"We had originally planned to film The Grandmaster in 3D not only for the cinematic sensation, but also for the subtlety of the expression of this beautiful story." said Director Wong Kar Wai. "By partnering with Bona Film Group and the innovation of Gener8 we now have the opportunity to show the film as it was always intended - searching for a brand new aesthetic or cinematic language in the 3D format."

Gener8's unique conversion technology solution has earned the company a top-tier client roster that includes some of Hollywood's biggest studios: Warner Bros. Entertainment, 20th Century Fox, Columbia Pictures Industries, Legendary Entertainment, Marvel Studios, Sony Pictures Entertainment, and more. The company's most recent 3D conversion, 300: Rise of an Empire, has earned accolades for its stunning 3D effects. Gener8, which currently has over 200 staff, continues to expand its operations.

According to Paul Becker, Gener8 Executive Producer, "The Grandmaster is an amazing story by a filmmaker known around the world. We are excited to enhance its beauty and to work with Wong Kar Wai. The film's pace and look lends itself to a stylistic 3D, and we are happy to release a top-shelf conversion for Chinese audiences."

The film, currently slated for the second half of 2014, will be distributed by Bona Film Group Limited, which was also involved in the distribution of the original 2D version of the film in mainland China in early 2013, where it generated approximately RMB 300 million of box office revenue domestically.

About Gener8

Gener8 Media Corp. is a media technology company led by a team of gaming industry veterans. At the forefront of postproduction, the Company earned its stripes by developing a proprietary 3D conversion technology, garnering high-profile credits including "300: Rise of a Empire," "The Amazing Spider-Man," "Prometheus" and "Harry Potter." Gener8 is expanding into offering visual effects services and a cloud-based data analytics solution called Cumul8. With its focus on developing disruptive solutions that combine design and technology, Gener8 also retains a majority interest in Reelhouse Media Ltd., an online entertainment distribution start-up. Gener8's head office is located in Vancouver, British Columbia and currently employs over 200 staff. Visit the company website at www.gener8.com .

jing

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yitian wrote:
Gener8 Breaks Into Chinese Market with 3D Conversion Contract for The Grandmaster
May 8, 2014, 12:59 p.m. EDT

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/gener8-breaks-into-chinese-market-with-3d-conversion-contract-for-the-grandmaster-2014-05-08?reflink=MW_news_stmp

May 08, 2014 (ACCESSWIRE via COMTEX) -- VANCOUVER, BC / ACCESSWIRE / May 8, 2014 / Gener8 Media Corp. (cse:GNR) ("Gener8" or the "Company"), a leader in 3D film conversion and data management software solutions for the entertainment industry, announced today it has signed a 3D conversion contract for The Grandmaster, a film produced by Hong-Kong-based Jet Tone Films, Annapurna Pictures and co-produced by Beijing-based Bona Film Group Limited BONA -1.55% .

Originally released in 2013, The Grandmaster is the story of martial arts master Ip Man, who later trained Bruce Lee. The film was directed and written by Wong Kar-Wai and stars Tony Leung as Ip Man. It was nominated for Best Cinematography (Philippe Le Sourd) and Best Costume Design (William Chang Suk Ping) at the 2014 Academy Awards.

"Our proposed partnership between Gener8's stereoscopic 3D conversion division and FFD will provide Gener8 with the capital and economies of scale to further develop our 3D conversion services and gain increased access to film producers and movie goers in China," said Rory Armes, founder and CEO of Gener8. "We are thrilled to convert the Academy Award nominated film, The Grandmaster."

"We had originally planned to film The Grandmaster in 3D not only for the cinematic sensation, but also for the subtlety of the expression of this beautiful story." said Director Wong Kar Wai. "By partnering with Bona Film Group and the innovation of Gener8 we now have the opportunity to show the film as it was always intended - searching for a brand new aesthetic or cinematic language in the 3D format."

Gener8's unique conversion technology solution has earned the company a top-tier client roster that includes some of Hollywood's biggest studios: Warner Bros. Entertainment, 20th Century Fox, Columbia Pictures Industries, Legendary Entertainment, Marvel Studios, Sony Pictures Entertainment, and more. The company's most recent 3D conversion, 300: Rise of an Empire, has earned accolades for its stunning 3D effects. Gener8, which currently has over 200 staff, continues to expand its operations.

According to Paul Becker, Gener8 Executive Producer, "The Grandmaster is an amazing story by a filmmaker known around the world. We are excited to enhance its beauty and to work with Wong Kar Wai. The film's pace and look lends itself to a stylistic 3D, and we are happy to release a top-shelf conversion for Chinese audiences."

The film, currently slated for the second half of 2014, will be distributed by Bona Film Group Limited, which was also involved in the distribution of the original 2D version of the film in mainland China in early 2013, where it generated approximately RMB 300 million of box office revenue domestically.

About Gener8

Gener8 Media Corp. is a media technology company led by a team of gaming industry veterans. At the forefront of postproduction, the Company earned its stripes by developing a proprietary 3D conversion technology, garnering high-profile credits including "300: Rise of a Empire," "The Amazing Spider-Man," "Prometheus" and "Harry Potter." Gener8 is expanding into offering visual effects services and a cloud-based data analytics solution called Cumul8. With its focus on developing disruptive solutions that combine design and technology, Gener8 also retains a majority interest in Reelhouse Media Ltd., an online entertainment distribution start-up. Gener8's head office is located in Vancouver, British Columbia and currently employs over 200 staff. Visit the company website at www.gener8.com .

A good news! Laughing

"We had originally planned to film The Grandmaster in 3D not only for the cinematic sensation, but also for the subtlety of the expression of this beautiful story.

By partnering with Bona Film Group and the innovation of Gener8 we now have the opportunity to show the film as it was always intended - searching for a brand new aesthetic or cinematic language in the 3D format"

Remember WKW said early,at the very start,this film is 3D。

http://yule.sohu.com/20130108/n362745618.shtml

搜狐娱乐:《一代宗师》的画面非常美,其实特别适合拍3D。

王家卫:我们这个电影头一年拍的时候是3D。

搜狐娱乐:那后来为什么没有转?

王家卫:对我来说太复杂,当你拍3D动作片的时候,不是拍摄的限制,而是对画面的思维是完全不一样。平面的思维跟三度空间的思维完全不一样。你要想,这个前后,我感觉这不是我现在要做的事情,可能要再花我两三年的时间。但我相信,如果完成这个,就又是一个里程碑了。我自己看很多3D电影,其实只不过是把2D变成3D,没有想过3D思维。

So,now is the time~~~~ Very Happy

The second half of 2014,Bona Film Group Limited,look forward to meet you again,grand master!
yitian

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I do remember WKW mentioned that he tried shooting The Grandmaster in 3D during the first year of filming. It probably is too demanding for him, a perfectionist, to make a 3D film all together - the net result is if he was to make a 3D, we would not be able to see any of The Grandmaster until year 2046 Laughing . Good that someone else is making the conversion, under tight supervision of WKW Wink .
You lucky Chinese fans Cool . I do hope WKW will make a 4-hour version in 3D (better stop daydreaming) Laughing Laughing .
In The Mood For Leung

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those photos would be great to hang in the living or entertainment room. I like the first and last photos, especially 'The Great Profile' - its sepia tone gives it so much character.
Info

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deleted Scene: Ip Man vs "The Razor" Yixiantian

http://hypesphere.com/?p=32640

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjz3zHNl6eE&feature=youtu.be
Tin-Yau

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Info wrote:

Thanks Info!
Safran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such impressing scenes with CC and Tony.....DELETED .....what a pity ! Crying or Very sad
Paul

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Info wrote:

Wow. Great, thank you!

Is it a deleted scene from a DVD?
yitian

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Grandmaster 3D to be released on October 23rd 2014

3D Trailer
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNzkyNDQyNzAw.html

3D exhibition at Chikan Film Studio
Jamaica

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol! Cool! (Wish I could see this version of the film.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Tony Leung Movies All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 19 of 28

Jump to: