TONYLEUNG.INFO
THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)

THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD

VIENNALE 2010

www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Random Thoughts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Safran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:16 pm    Post subject: VIENNALE 2010

If you are interested what´s going on in Austria:

http://www.viennale.at
http://www.viennale.at/english/programm/

The programm is already online - and I hope to join some days Smile
Yuka

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:42 am    Post subject:

Hi Helga,

Thank you for sharing. Very Happy
Lou Reed and John Turturro will be there as director!!!!! Hope you’ll get to see them. Wink
Caterpillar is on the program, too.

I saw A Single Man directed by Tom Ford a few weeks ago. I liked it.
It’s been already released in most countries. It’s in theater in Japan right now, at last..
Safran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:08 pm    Post subject:

Hallo Yuka !

Yesssss, I´m in "Festival-Fever" again - but this year a "privat" 5-days-marathon only - hahaha - ( and I will miss some of my "musts" Sad )
"Eric Rohmer Retrospective" - I´ll omit (is not soooo my french favourite)
Hope to get the tickets for most of my planned films -via internet (often screenings are sold-out already on the first day of advance-booking !) I´ll let you know Wink

To my TT friends and all Japanese fellow fans !
Have a cheerful "TIFF-Night" tonight - if you are able to attend !
Again many very interesting films to watch on TIFF this year - and at the same time like Viennale ! Maybe our movie-spirits will meet in the dimmed cinema hall Wink- hahaha

Helga
mary

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:04 pm    Post subject:

Hi Helga

Vienna Film Festival time again, time goes by sooo fast. It doesn't seem a year ago we were all sharing in your wonderful adventure with great posts from MoMo.

Thanks for posting the programme there sure are alot of movies to see. Which ones are your favourites? hope you get to see them.

Like Jenny you are lucky to have such a great film festival in your country, and thank you for sharing your enthusiasm for all movies, looking forward to your posts.

Have a great time at the movies...best wishes mary.
Safran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:56 am    Post subject:

Hello dear "Shamrock"sunny

Yes, cannot believe also - I am looking forward my private movie-marathon next week and will meet my former "Jury-Collegues" also.
( My favourits ? - unfortunately I will miss some, but I am curious about all 18 screenings I booked Wink - and will poste later)

Thank you and Best wishes for you too -
Helga Waving
Safran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:30 am    Post subject:

"SERVUS" dear friends and fellow fans !
Yes, I am back home again from Viennale Crying or Very sad - and still a bit confused (my head full of exciting movie impressions with various film scenes....... like a trip round the world in 6 days Wink !)
Will tell you more later ~
Helga
Safran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:26 am    Post subject:

Hello again -

Viennale is over now - (see AWARDS on Viennale site if you are interested in ) and: I have not watched any of the winner-films !!!
I had much luck to watch very different films of different countries - and each with very individual directors.....- and no really bad one !

I liked most (on the first and/or second sight)- and I especially recommend you the following (without valuation !):

"Caterpillar" by Wakmatsu Koji, Japan - Very impressing oppressive Anti-War and Anti-Nationalism-Tragedy - for some people hard to watch the social/political pressure and the sado/maso-relationship of the main characters - but well understandable in connection with their background in past....(I am very curious about our Japanese friend´s comment)

"Shi" (Poetry) by Lee Chang-dong, ROK - Finding positive strategies and sense in life - though difficult reality and circumstances.....a very carefully and slow filmed, very well acted sensitive film

"Attenberg" by Athina Rachel Tsangari (attending)GR - very interesting new genre-mix and film-rythm (with kind of dance also) in an moody Drama on Greek´s grey and rainy coast in winter - a very close father(widower) and adult-daughter relationship - daughter has problems with her female identity....and father is going to die ....a learning process....

"Leaves of Grass" by Tim Blake Nelson, USA - Drugdealer-story in deep American "province" - with Edward Norton in a double role as twin-brothers (good one / bad one - ? ) and Susan Sarandon in supporting role as difficult "Woodstock-generation"-mother.

"Littlerock" by Mike Ott (attending) USA - two young Japanese siblings on the trip/search of family history in USA, landing in a scurillous forlorn dump with disoriented young americans - both have a different view and fascination of that different culture - and the finding of own identity.....

"Cyrus" Comedy by Jay and Mark Duplass, USA - skurillous and funny finding/trying of a new relationship of a couple in midlife - problems, cause the lone mother (Marisa Tomei) has a very close relationship to her (envyous) adult son...humorous

"Octubre" by Daniel and Diego Vega, Peru/Venezuela/E - a not very emotional "stoneface" money-lenders education/finding of new aims in his dismal life (in economical hard times in Peru/Lima)

"Oki´s Movie" and "Ha Ha Ha" by Hong Sang-soo, ROK - I like his "easy" meeting-parting-loving-eating-drinking-talking.....everyday-life stories in overlapping style.

"Morgen" by Marian Crisan(attending) RO/H - very simple and poor life next the border between Hungary and Romania......a simple man hiding/helping a Turkish refugee - again the carefully and slow comprehention of each other, though not even understandinging each others language......simple humanity

"Machete" by Roberto Rodriguez and Ethan Maniquis - not only "hard and bloody" - but also cynical-political and social-critical- with much "black-humor" (with Robert de Niro and some other "wellknown" actors in supporting roles !)

"The Rise And Fall of Legs Diamond" by Budd Boetticher, USA 1960 - a very good "Gentleman-Gangster"- Genre-Oldie - at its best !

"Shinboru" by Matsumoto Hitoshi, Japan - very fancyful, weird and "tragic-comical" movie - with surprising ideas, connections and end ! ( I call: "Very Japanese"- in good sense !)

"Seesaw" by Kanyama Keihiro, Japan - the young team with main actors ( with singer SoRa) and acting director were attending for Q&A (very natural and sympathic young people, interviewed by Thereses most beloved old Uni-Prof.)The film has no distribution agency in Japan yet - and was screened for western public for the first time.
Beginning in an very exaggerated, carefree attitude of young people (in the 30ies) - but later slowly changing more and more......about a couple with different aims/values in life.......

"Somewhere" by Sofia Coppola, USA - (Award-winner in Cannes) - simillar tenor/mood like "Lost in Translation" (not as good in my oppinion) - but a nice, well done story about the lonely and superficial life of an divorced Hollywood-"Star" and womanizer.....and his "maturing" when suddenly responsible for his daughter.....

Ufffff, hard work ! - but I hope the cinephiles of you have got some little impressions and helpful tips though (if not: please ask me) Wink

See you soon
Helga
Yuka

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:07 am    Post subject:

Hi Helga,

Glad to hear you enjoyed movie- marathon -Viennale.. (still with red eyes ?)
and thank you for your comments.
For Caterpillar, I've seen his past film before, so I'm not surprised
with the contents. But I understand some people may find it shocking
with very straight forward message.
Poetry, Machete and Somewhere will be coming to Japan, soon.
I'm interested in watching Seesaw, too. Hope it'll find ditribution channel
in Japan.

Btw, White Ribbon by Michael Haneke will be in theater here, soon!!
( I guess there're many fans of his film in Japan, too) Very Happy

Yuka Waving
Safran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:42 am    Post subject:

Dear Yuko,

Hope you are well

Thank you for your interest, my "movie-mate" ! Wink
Eyes and brain did return to "normal" meanwhile - haha

Helga Waving
   www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Random Thoughts All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: