TONYLEUNG.INFO
THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)

THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD

HIROSHIMA, 65 YEARS LATER

www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Random Thoughts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
katwoman64

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:50 am    Post subject: HIROSHIMA, 65 YEARS LATER

Today,
65 years after Hiroshima.

A shame for the whole humankind.

Forgive us, if you can.

Mimma

Sadako Sasaki
Safran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:37 am    Post subject:

Hello Mimma !

Yes, it is a shame! You speak out, what I am feeling too - Today my thoughts were THERE - for a while , remembering my visit in Hiroshima last year.

I was very impressed and touched - and bewonderd how Japanese people handle and digested this traumatic experience - sincerely, in calm and collected commemoration. Never forget - but let bygones be bygones .
(But I do not understand the sense of your words :"forgive us, if you can" - sorry )

Good Night dear Japanese Friends, Mimma and Fellow Fans !

Helga
Yuka

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:09 pm    Post subject:

Hi everyone,
I don’t want to be too political but just want to say it is important
for all of us to tell future generations what happened in the past
and not to repeat the same thing again.
Have you seen this documentary film? Will be coming to Japan in Nov.
“Countdown to Zero”
http://www.takepart.com/zero
Safran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:53 pm    Post subject:

Dear Yuko !

I totally agree with your statement - but isn´t "zero" a pious hope ? People want, but which nuclear weapons state will start ? The self-appointed "good" ones , who are responsible for Hiroshima and Nagasaki ?

Am I too cynical ?

Nevertheless: Have a beautiful, relaxed weekend busy girl !

Peace !
Helga
Yuka

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:05 am    Post subject:

Safran wrote:
Am I too cynical ?

I don't think so. I like the way you are Wink

Peace ! Waving
Safran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:55 am    Post subject:

Thank you Giving a kiss - The same to you ! Waving
katwoman64

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:12 am    Post subject:

Hi,
my "forgive us, if you can" is directed to Japanese people, at least our forum fellows.

I am westerner, so I am between those who did it.
I feel we westerners have to keep our guilt close to our hearts and learn from our mistakes, because we come from advanced Countries, Countries with a lot of power and we have to be more than careful in using it.

Kiss
M

Sadako Sasaki
Eri

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:33 am    Post subject:

katwoman64 wrote:
Hi,
my "forgive us, if you can" is directed to Japanese people, at least our forum fellows.

I am westerner, so I am between those who did it.
I feel we westerners have to keep our guilt close to our hearts and learn from our mistakes, because we come from advanced Countries, Countries with a lot of power and we have to be more than careful in using it.

Kiss
M

Thank you Kat for your words.
Although everything had happened before I was born, I had been to the Peace Museum in Hiroshima a few times with visitors from Europe and the US, so I know the feeling is depend on each person.
Some people think "It's too much. I can't see them any more" (because the exhibits are too horrific but they were reality) and some people have very deep interests.

I always told them "It is up to you how long you want to spend your time here or how do you feel", because when I visited Pearl Harbor Memorial Museum a long long time ago, an American middle aged man told me "You Japs should be sorry for them". At that time, I was very shocked and felt "I didn't do anything, I wasn't even born then. Why should I take the responsibility for people who were killed here ?".

Now, I agree with you about that we have to learn from the history and try not to repeat the same mistake in the past.

As you know Sadako's word, among all the exhibits I was most moved by her story. Every time I read her words, I was in tears, not because the story was sad, because she was so positive until the day she passed away. She didn't have any hatred towards anyone, she just hoped for peace and her recovery from the illness.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sadako_Sasaki
Safran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:21 am    Post subject:

Dear Italian friend, Eri and pacific fellow fans!

Many nations worldwide have such terrible "dark places" of harm and pain-
In my opinion everybody - but especially young people- should visit such sad but very imortant "Memorial-Places" like Hiroshima in Japan or the "Concentration Camps" in Europe ......... once in his life - to learn from the past !

We human kind will have to learn to live with our deadly, self-made problems and catastophies - No chance to "turn back the clock" any more -but also no reason to resign ! Circle of life goes on and on and on........Wink

Salve/Peace
Helga

PS
Somehow Sadako Sasaki story reminds me on the jewish girl "Anne Frank" and her Diary, in Amsterdam .
Eri

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject:

Safran wrote:
Dear Italian friend, Eri and pacific fellow fans!

Many nations worldwide have such terrible "dark places" of harm and pain-
In my opinion everybody - but especially young people- should visit such sad but very imortant "Memorial-Places" like Hiroshima in Japan or the "Concentration Camps" in Europe ......... once in his life - to learn from the past !

We human kind will have to learn to live with our deadly, self-made problems and catastophies - No chance to "turn back the clock" any more -but also no reason to resign ! Circle of life goes on and on and on........Wink

Salve/Peace
Helga

PS
Somehow Sadako Sasaki story reminds me on the jewish girl "Anne Frank" and her Diary, in Amsterdam .

Yes, I agree. Most of the countries have some dark history, and although I think these are not directly responsible for the younger generations, everyone should know them to remind them not to repeat the same mistakes.
I try to read books (written by different points of views) and visit related places.

I also visited Anne Frank's hiding place in Amsterdam long time ago.
It is the worst thing about war, so many innocent people like them died or suffered helplessly.

Some messages from world leaders (?)

http://www.pcf.city.hiroshima.jp/virtual/VirtualMuseum_e/visit_e/message_e/messe_list.htm
Safran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:42 pm    Post subject:

Hello Eri

Thank you for the interesting link - (missed an Austrian message )

I only can hope world-politicians take their own words seriously and mean it honestly ! (a principle contradiction?)
Especially they should take it to their hearts cause they are the most responsible how to manage a crisis in future - though they might be under different pressure !

Hopefully Smile
Helga
katwoman64

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:16 am    Post subject:

My friends,

War keeps going year after year, place after place. We humans seem unable to stop ourselves from being cruel and deadly.

Even so we have to keep going.

Some philosopher wrote that democracy is the most difficult thing to defend, because it is made from several different parties and opinions. But democracy is the only system that gives voice to our belief and will, and we have to use whatewer power we have to make our voices listened to.

Bye, Kiss
Mimma

Sadako Sasaki
Yuka

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:05 am    Post subject:

Hi Kat and everyone,

katwoman64 wrote:

Some philosopher wrote that democracy is the most difficult thing to defend, because it is made from several different parties and opinions. But democracy is the only system that gives voice to our belief and will, and we have to use whatewer power we have to make our voices listened to

I agree with that. It is difficult to define what is democracy, though.
A few days ago, I watched " Caterpillar" by Koji Wakamatsu.
Very heavy and serious content with a strong message. Obviously not a commercial movie
but a long hit in theaters in Tokyo. Silver Bear at Berlin FF by Shinobu Terajima seems agreeable .
It’ll make you think what we (humans) were (and still are) fighting for by causing the war...

Hope you’ll get to see it in your theater, too. Wink
katwoman64

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject:

Dear Yuko,

Art - so cinema too - is communication.

I hope I can see that film too. Maybe english subtitled on Youtube?

In Italian Constitution there is one (1) article about the right to health of the cityzen, one (1) article about the right to work for the cityzen and thirteen (13) articles about the right to a free communitation and the responsabilities of the communication professionals. Why?

Because communication helps people to think, to analyze and to work out by themselves what's right and what's not.

So, we have to defend the freedom to communicate and all the people involved in communication have responsabilities.

I try to explain better. A neurosurgeon has responsabilities, but he works on the brain of a minority of people, that go to him damaged and that he tries to patch up again.

Communication is open to everibody, reaches the brain of people that go from nine to ninety years old. So if you help them think you have a great power.

What democracy? As said from better experts than me, democracy is a system that is born imperfect. We try hard to make it perfect, but it is this imperfection itself that makes it free and good.

To explain, I hate, simply hate my Presidente del Consiglio Mr Berlusconi, but he won democratically, so I have to beat him on the same ground if I want someone else. I can hate him till I turn blue in the face, it doesn't matter, because he is who most of my sorrily fellow cityzen want.

I have to say that the last years saw the decline of culture, and art and culture are what help people think and choose. This can explain the bad choice, but the balance sheet says that he won and I lost. Till the next elections.

Your Country is not so different, and so are all the democratic Countries.
The imperfect system is still the best option so far. It is an open system.

And no, the ethic government idea is no good. It was the base for the nazifascism, so I'd say that last time they didn't do all that great, isn't it?

We don't have to sleep and we have to be interested, active cityzen.
Obama is... black, and the spokeperson for the lobby of the "environment friendly". A miracle, isn't it? Sooner of later there will be another president truly committed to the "peace program". Just wait and see.

Bye, a kiss
Mimma

Sadako Sasaki
mary

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject:

Unfortunately there will always be wars for one reason or another.
Most people just want to live in peace with fellow human beings, show human kindness.
This alone is not enough to stop war the people in power somehow manage to be stronger.
Money, power, religion all reasons to start a war why can't we find reasons not to start one.
We should learn from the past, never forget all the human suffering caused by such terrible acts.
All these atrocities should be commemorated yearly to shame and remind humankind not to let them happen again.

I agree with Helga, we should try to visit the Memorial Sites around the world. In respect for all those who died show there lives are not forgotten. As Eri wrote the younger generations are not to blame but we can learn from the past seeing these places brings it closer to us all.

I visited Anne Frank's house in Amsterdam and Austwich in Poland even though they are sad places to visit I'm glad I did. The horrible facts of war are still there to be seen and to be learnt from.

Even though I am late posting for the 65th year after Hiroshima I send my thoughts to all the generations of people effected. May nothing like this ever happen again.

mary
   www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Random Thoughts All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: