TONYLEUNG.INFO
THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)

THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD

just wondering...

www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Random Thoughts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chueyee

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:04 pm    Post subject: just wondering...

hi.. i'm relatively new here. i know that carina lau was nominated as the best actress at the recent golden horse award and i personally hoped that she would win. well, it turns out that she didn't and i'm just wondering how is she taking it? i know winning isn't everything but i just hope she just continue with what she's doing because i think she's doing an excellent job!
Info

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:03 am    Post subject:

Carina is doing fine. She said when she heard the name of the winner, she was upset for a second, but she recovered immediately. She would be more selective with scripts in future, and would continue to work hard, hoping she could have her chance one day, just like Andy Lau.

Carina attended a party organised by Jetone after the ceremony. Many friends attended to support her. Tony also called to comfort her, she joked with Tony that because he won too many awards and used up all the luck, he should give his best actor awards to her to compensate.

梁朝偉送影帝獎座
安慰落敗劉嘉玲

【明報專訊】出爐金馬影后周迅前晚參加慶功宴後,急不及待返酒店跟男友李大齊分享得獎喜悅,她說:「頒獎禮後一切都歸零,我不會自我膨脹。」周迅在亞太影展的「最佳女主角」中呼聲甚高,最後敗在孫藝珍手中,她當時也感失望,但能奪金馬影后,讓她累積更多經驗。而吳君如代陳可辛領「最佳導演」一獎後,跟周迅在慶功宴上一起慶祝。

向劉德華學習

劉嘉玲再次與金馬影后擦身而過,其經理人公司原本安排的慶功宴,變成了「安慰會」,一眾好友也趕到給嘉玲安慰;而影帝男友梁朝偉更送上影帝獎座「補償」,嘉玲輸了獎項,但卻贏得萬千寵愛。嘉玲說:「聽到得獎者是周迅時,我有一秒鐘的落寞,但很快便恢復過來。以後我會更嚴選劇本,學習劉德華,再接再厲!偉仔也有致電安慰我,我撒嬌說他拿了太多獎,將好運也用光了,所以偉仔要將獎座送給我!」席間,一眾好友向嘉玲敬酒,她玩至清晨4時才在護送下返回酒店。

張震原本是金馬影帝候選者,卻因電影退選而變成頒獎嘉賓,他笑說:「不用在台下等揭曉,故心情特別輕鬆!影展就是這樣的,一切也不能預測。」

此外,韓國型男鄭雨盛前晚出席《詭絲》慶功活動,原來他是為吳宇森而來,向對方取經。
chueyee

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: thanks

hey thanks for the info... Very Happy glad to hear that she's fine!
anyway, anyone has any pictures of the golden horse awards of that night? take care everyone.
Info

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:51 am    Post subject:

For more photos of the event, please visit: http://yule.sohu.com/s2006/43jm/index.shtml
summertime

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Crownless Queen Carina

Crownless Queen Carina

2006-12-04 10:23:53 CCTV.com

Carina Lau was in the running for Best Actress, at last week's Taiwan Golden Horse Awards. The prize was ultimately snatched by Zhou Xun. But Carina has put in so many excellent performances in her twenty year career, that tops today's "The List."

Lau was nominated at this year's Golden Horse Awards for her role in "Curiosity Kills the Cat". Her rivals included Angelica Lee in "Recycle Bin", Si Qin Gao Wa in "The Postmodern Life of My Aunt", and Zhou Xun in "Perhaps Love".

Lau plays "Qian Yu", whose wealthy family has helped her husband rise from poverty. But what she doesn't know is that he has begun an affair with their beautiful new neighbor. She won the nod and great admiration for mature acting with a sense of propriety.

Carina has failed to win a Golden Horse in six nominations, but she takes it in stride. Before this year's results were revealed, Lau said winning or not winning will not affect her life. It's more a pity for her fans, friends, and long-time lover Tony Leung.

Carina Lau is no underachiever. She has earned her place in acting through consistent work over two decades.

In 1984, the twenty-year-old Carina Lau graduated from acting class and began her career. After several TV shows, Lau found herself famous for both beauty and talent. Mainland audiences learned of her in the hit series "Look Back in Anger", followed by another television smash, "Feud of Two Brothers".

Back in 1980, Lau's family left their hometown Suzhou to settle in Hong Kong. So the mainland audience has a natural affinity with their native daughter.

Since the late 80s Carina has moved to the big screen.Working with top directors and actors like Wong Kar-Wai, Tsui Hark and Leslie Cheung, she had success from the start. Lau has played in such blockbusters as "I Am Sorry", "Days of Being Wild","Ashes of Time","Infernal Affairs" and "2046". Along with the Golden Horse near misses, she has been nominated for several Hong Kong Film Awards.

Carina's most unforgettable moment came at 1991's Hong Kong Film Awards. She was nominated for "Days of Being Wild", which had won her Best Actress at the Nantes Film Awards. As former winner Brigitte Lin was opening the envelope, her eyes threw a hint to Carina. And Carina nearly stood up to collect her prize. But the winner was Carol Cheng.

And there's another competitor hindering Carina Lau's success - Maggie Cheung. Maggie has done many films with Carina's lover Tony Leung. Their relationship has remained professional. But when talking film awards, Carina's luck turned for the worse when she met Maggie. In both 1989 and 1997, it was Maggie at the Hong Kong podium, with nothing to do for Carina but listen to the acceptance speech.

Such unhappy memories made Carina doubt whether she was really a qualified actress. For some time, she faded from the screen and did only advertisements. But when she came back, directors saw a smarter, more natural actress.

http://english.cri.cn/3086/2006/12/04/60@170284.htm
eliza bennet

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:15 am    Post subject:

Yeah I think Carina is a good actress and it is weird that she never got an award in HK.

But I don't think she should be very sad since a jury who considers Aaron Kwok "the best actor" is probably not really very good (although here I have to say I haven't seen his performance yet but he really is not a good actor).

And she looks like a real fun woman with the jokes about Tony's awards and all.

I think she is the female version of Lau Ching Wan, both excellent actors with not a weak performance but somehow when it gets to awards, they are left out.
karengoh

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:13 am    Post subject:

eliza bennet wrote:

I think she is the female version of Lau Ching Wan, both excellent actors with not a weak performance but somehow when it gets to awards, they are left out.

Yes eliza you have a very strong point there. Wink

But I am gald she is taking it fine. I like her character in the TVB drama "looking back in anger". In fact she top the other artists with her performance.
chueyee

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject:

yes!i fully support. i think she has both beauty,talent and charm! and i wish that she'll always have joy in her life! guess that's more important than awards....
purple

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject:

Eliza, you are spot on with your views on Carina, Aaron and Lau Ching Wan Laughing.

I have seen Carina since her TVB days but her most memorable performance to me, if I must single out one, is in Days of Being Wild. She is so natural and extremely gorgeous there. Absolutely love her! She is a perfect example of a woman who "dares to love, dares to hate". She is already a Best Actress in Days of Being Wild in my mind Wink. If the actors/actresses are really good, they will always have a special place in the viewers' heart, with or wthout winning awards Smile.

Also a pity that Chang Chen's movie The Go Master, pulled out of the Golden Horse Awards. If not, he might stand a chance to win Best Actor. Another fine actor! Is interesting to see how he developes since Happy Together.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:12 pm    Post subject: Carina Lau's 42nd Birthday; Faye Wong's Daughter's Cleft Lip

Credits to: Jayne @ http://jaynestars.com/

Source: Singtao, Takungpao

Carina Lau's 42nd Birthday; Faye Wong's Daughter's Cleft Lip Surgery a Success

Carina Lau Ka Ling recently celebrated her 42nd birthday. From December 6th to the 10th, Carina had numerous celebrations and cut 10 cakes for her birthday this year!

Carina described boyfriend Tony Leung's present, "Although the present may be an ordinary object, but whatever Tony gives, it is more significant than the whole universe, which includes unending support and love!"

Carina also received many warm wishes from her dearest friends. Although Faye Wong has retired her microphone, Faye still sang a birthday song for Carina. When Carina saw Faye's newborn daughter, Li Yan, her heart was moved to tears.

"Faye's daughter is beautiful! After holding her, I didn't want to let go!" Carina said that Faye's daughter's cleft lip surgery was performed successfully. "

"Although Faye's baby daughter suffered previously, she often smiles now. The baby's eyes are huge and her features resemble both her parents."

Since Carina has not seen Faye in such a long time, how has Faye changed? "Faye has grown more mature after experiencing so many changes in her life. She is intelligent and she appears to be very happy and more mild-mannered now."

Carina also received a "Golden Horse" made of solid gold from good friend Bridgette Lin Ching Ha. "The gift is made of solid gold, so it is very valuable. But Bridgette's birthday card was filled with many heart-felt and moving words. I really admire Bridgette's precise take on life. I appreciate everything that Bridgette has given me!"

Since Carina received so much love and support on her birthday, she hopes to receive and give back to charity. Faye Wong and husband, Li Yapeng have set up a charity event. Carina is responsible for inviting friends to the event and she will definitely appear on that day. Carina hopes that Faye will sing at the charity event, as she wishes to listen to her music once again!
karengoh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject:

Thanks summertime

I saw these articles in a Chinese newspaper and I don't understand fully what is all about. Now I do.

Thank you again for posting them here. Giving a kiss Angel You are an angel
summertime

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:00 am    Post subject:

Hey karengoh - my pleasure !

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Smile
summertime

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject: Tony Leung Trusts Carina Lau Did Not Cheat

Credits: JayneStars

Tony Leung Trusts Carina Lau Did Not Cheat

Tony Leung Chiu Wai and Carina Lau Ka Ling have been dating for 17 years. Earlier, rumors spread that Carina was involved with wealthy Taiwanese merchant, Guo Taiming.

Holding hands, Carina attended a charity ball and family wedding with Mr. Guo. Afterwards, she flew back to Hong Kong on Mr. Guo's private jet and accompanied him on a tour of Hainan Island as well.

Allegedly, Tony was dissatisfied with Carina's high profile exposure with Mr. Guo. To pacify Tony, Carina booked an early skiing trip with him to Hokkaido earlier.

Appearing at the Hong Kong Film Expo yesterday, Tony was in good spirits and responded to Carina and Mr. Guo's rumors, "Carina has already responded accordingly to the press's questions. But I can tell you with complete confidence that I trust Carina entirely."

Reporters were quite respectful towards Tony and did not press the issue further. However, they asked if Mr. Guo asked Tony to film a movie, would Tony accept? "I will not answer any hypothetical questions raised." Tony requested reporters to change the topic.

Carina's Response to Rumors with Mr. Guo

Carina had explained earlier, "Mr. Guo is my friend. The press printed photos of Mr. Guo's hand on my thigh, but the effect was a result of the camera angle. There is no need to complicate matters further."

"Each time I am spotted with a male friend, everyone thinks there is romantic involvement. But they are just normal networking and social events. There is no need to hide anything. I don't consider them to be anything more. Tony never questioned me about them either."

Tony has been nominated for the Best Actor Award for his role in "Confessions of Pain" in 2007's Hong Kong Film Awards. He is happy that he has been nominated and whether he wins the award will be dependent on luck.

Tony's movie, "Infernal Affairs" was remade by Hollywood into "The Departed," starring Leonardo Di Caprio, and won numerous Oscar Awards.
"Confessions of Pain" has also been picked up by Hollywood for a remake. Tony is proud that Hong Kong movie scripts have international recognition, proving that there is much talent in the Hong Kong film industry.

Source: Mingpao, the Sun

http://jaynestars.com/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=818
chueyee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:30 am    Post subject: that's the way to go!

i think that trust is really an essential entity in a relationship and i'm so glad that tony can indeed say with confidence that he trusts carina entirely. it's amazing how they can remain so lovingly strong despite being under media attention all the time. to find somone you love and whom loves you back is a rare chance.... i do wish them all the best and may they have a happily ever after!

anyway, where did they go for their recent vacation and with who?
take care everyone! Very Happy
summertime

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Magnate magnet

Monday April 9, 2007

Magnate magnet

By LEE SZE YONG

As if one desirable leading man – Tony Leung Chiu Wai – is not enough, the ever-elegant actress, Carina Lau, has rich men falling for her feminine charm.

CARINA Lau might be making the news because Taiwanese billionaire Terry Gou fancies her, but he is not the first tycoon the Hong Kong actress has gone out with.

In December last year, Lau was photographed having a candlelight dinner with Taiwanese Jack Sun, former chairman of Taiwan-based company Pacific Electric Wire & Cable. It was supposedly to celebrate her 41st birthday.

Bewitching: Carina Lau oozes femininity without even trying.
Sun, 58, reportedly has three wives and his wealth was once estimated to be around S$100mil (RM230mil).

And before Lau met her long-time boyfriend, actor Tony Leung Chiu Wai, she was engaged to Hong Kong tycoon Hui Chun Hung, now 44, whose family’s real estate business is estimated to be worth S$3.9bil (RM8.97bil).

The two went separate ways in 1988, reportedly due to fierce objections from Hui’s family who felt Lau, then a starlet, was not worthy of him.

They may be kicking themselves now.

Forbes China recently ranked the Suzhou-born actress as the 10th top China-born celebrity last year, based on salary and media exposure. It estimated her 2006 income at 25mil yuan (RM11.27mil).

She was behind big names in sports and entertainment like basketball star Yao Ming, who was No.1, and actress Gong Li, who was No.5.

Wealth and its trappings are certainly not unfamiliar to Lau, whose current assets include four properties in mainland China and Hong Kong worth S$24mil (RM55.2mil), according to Hong Kong’s Sudden Weekly.

More recently, at a press conference to promote watch brand Longines, the slim but well-endowed actress was seen sporting a diamond ring – of reportedly 30 carats – on the fourth finger of her right hand.

Asked who gave it to her, she said crisply: “It’s new. A friend gave it to me. I like it.”

Could it have been Gou, 56, listed by Forbes as the 142nd richest man in the world last year with assets worth US$5.5bil (RM19.25bil). His company, Hon Hai Precision, is the world’s largest contract manufacturer.

What is it about Lau that she counts not just powerful people in her social circle but is also part of the chic party scene in Hong Kong and Shanghai?

And in a celebrity world of short-lived romances, how has the actress managed to keep Leung – one of Hong Kong’s most successful and desired actors – by her side for 18 years?

Steely charm

Those who have worked with her say her charm lies in a certain self-confidence and cool headedness.

Singaporean Jazreel Low, chief operating officer of the Asmara Spa group here and a former TV actress, says Lau “turns heads whenever she enters a room”.

The two met at a private party and kept in touch until the late 1990s. Lau also officiated at the opening ceremony of Low’s bridal salon in 1995, which she has since sold.

Low describes the actress as a “casual and pleasant” woman who is elegant and poised and can speak very casually with a stranger yet not appear fake.

She adds: “Her skin is flawless. Her figure is good. She oozes femininity without even trying.”

Straits Times senior writer Wong Kim Hoh remembers his first in-depth interview with her when she was in Singapore to promote Days of Being Wild in 1991, in which she plays a vamp.

He recalls that she was very candid and did not mince her words, especially about the Hong Kong paparazzi.

“You could tell that she was made of stern stuff and quite determined. She’s not had it easy with the Hong Kong press but I guess the name-calling has made her quite strong,” Wong says.

The role, by the way, won her a nomination for Best Actress in the Hong Kong Film Awards. It shut up her critics, who had long made snide remarks about how the actress was a country bumpkin and couldn’t act.

She went on to garner more acclaim with blockbuster hits like She’s a Man, He’s a Woman (1994) and Infernal Affairs II (2003). Her latest work, Curiosity Killed the Cat, in which she plays a distressed housewife, won her a nomination for Best Actress in the Golden Horse awards last year.

Guessing games

Acting was a childhood ambition for Lau, who grew up in Suzhou. Her parents painted for a living.

She joined an acting troupe when she was in secondary school. Making no headway in her career, she moved to Hong Kong in 1980 when she was about 15, to widen her prospects.

She learnt to speak Cantonese and was accepted by local TV station TVB for its acting class.

She met Leung, a Hong Konger, at the acting class and they became a couple seven years later.

Her tough early years no doubt taught her to be street smart and media savvy. Just see how expertly she spars with reporters, who have been hounding her since last December, when she was first spotted with Gou at a charity event organised by singer Faye Wong in Beijing.

After weeks of leaving the media guessing about the state of her relationship with Gou and Leung, she told reporters recently: “Whether or not I marry Leung Chiu Wai, he is still my closest good friend.”

And when pestered by reporters as to whether Gou had, as rumoured, bought her a 40mil yuan (RM18mil) villa in Shanghai, she gave another cryptic reply: “This year, I ‘clash’ with tai sui (the Chinese God of the Year), so I must be low-key. But that hasn’t happened as I wished. I have nothing to do with the matter of the house.”

And earlier, on March 24, she said of reports about Gou and her: “To an extraordinary woman, self-confidence is very important. I’m not concerned about what people are saying.”

Lau’s steely front is said to hide a vulnerability that causes men to rush to protect her.

In 2002, for example, nude photographs of Lau taken when she was abducted by the Hong Kong mafia in 1990 were published by Hong Kong’s tabloid Eastweek magazine.

Celebrity friends, including Jacky Cheung and Jackie Chan, rallied around her, blasting the paparazzi for printing the photos.

When she resurfaced in public the following year, Chinese entertainment reporters noted that she was colder and less candid than before.

Singaporean hairstylist David Gan, who counts Lau as an old friend, lets on that despite her seemingly aloof exterior, she is a caring and warm person.

He got to know her after styling her hair for a magazine here in 1996.

Gan says that whenever he flies to Hong Kong to style her hair for advertisement or magazine shoots, she would call him at his hotel the night he leaves for Singapore to wish him a safe journey.

“She’s a big star. She doesn’t have to do that because I’m paid to do my job, but she cares enough for others to do so.”

These days, Lau is deluged with advertising and endorsement deals, and spends much of her time running Muse, her pub in Shanghai’s creative hub, the New Factories.

It is reportedly doing such good business that it is giving VIP Room, a pub run by her friend Faye Wong and her husband Li Yapeng, a run for its money.

However, not so fortunate is TV Mart, a 24-hour home shopping channel in Hong Kong, Taiwan, South Korea, and Japan. Lau became its CEO in November 2004 but stepped down eight months later.

But given her own fortune, money woes are almost certainly not high on the list of this self-made woman.

Adds Gan: “With her charm and elegance, how can any man resist? But only the most influential and wealthy can match her status.” – The Straits Times, Singapore/ Asia News Network

http://star-ecentral.com/news/story.asp?file=/2007/4/9/movies/17353737&sec=movies
   www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Random Thoughts All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: