TONYLEUNG.INFO
THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)

THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD

Jackie Chan - hypocrite

www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Random Thoughts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lio

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:34 am    Post subject: Jackie Chan - hypocrite

http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/news/ap/20051126/113307330000.html

didn't he just signed on to do Rush Hour 3?
Pungyo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject:

Hi lio,

Hey, listen... I'm an American and I totally agree with Jackie. It is a little disconcerting to see Asian youths trying to act and dress like a certain sub-culture of American kids. Why? Asian culture and society should make them feel proud... and this should be reflected in Asian films. I've often wondered, myself, why kids from other countries are so quick to adopt this American culture. (When half the kids in this country don't even dress or behave that way, anyway!)

Don't get me wrong, I'm proud of being an American... but you know? Not ALL American kids dress in baggy jeans and say, "Yo man!" Laughing That's only a small percentage... perhaps mostly from our cities. But they're the types of characters you see in movies the most. Perhaps because they are most interesting? Question Question

And I don't think that Jackie is really knocking American cinema... I believe he enjoys acting in American-made films... but, one's own country should promote their own cinema first. With that... I agree!

Now if we can ONLY get MORE ASIAN FILMS IN THE U.S.!!!! I'd be a happy camper! Wink

-K

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:41 pm    Post subject:

K-

I don't know how quickly they're importing Asian movies over to this side of the world, but the Asian films that are slating to remake makes my jaw drops, head spins, and wonder...

Really random tidbits K. Kung Fu Hustle presently is showing on Comcast movie Demand channel (it's free!). Wink
lio

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject:

Pungyo wrote:
Hi lio,

Hey, listen... I'm an American and I totally agree with Jackie. It is a little disconcerting to see Asian youths trying to act and dress like a certain sub-culture of American kids. Why? Asian culture and society should make them feel proud... and this should be reflected in Asian films. I've often wondered, myself, why kids from other countries are so quick to adopt this American culture. (When half the kids in this country don't even dress or behave that way, anyway!)

Don't get me wrong, I'm proud of being an American... but you know? Not ALL American kids dress in baggy jeans and say, "Yo man!" Laughing That's only a small percentage... perhaps mostly from our cities. But they're the types of characters you see in movies the most. Perhaps because they are most interesting? Question Question

And I don't think that Jackie is really knocking American cinema... I believe he enjoys acting in American-made films... but, one's own country should promote their own cinema first. With that... I agree!

Now if we can ONLY get MORE ASIAN FILMS IN THE U.S.!!!! I'd be a happy camper! Wink

-K

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I agree with you.

My problem with Jackie Chen is the messager, not the message. He went to Hollywood and made some really lousy films. He just signed a deal to do "Rush Hour 3", which he owns the film's distribution right in HK and China. In essense, he is a part of Hollywood. It seems that he detests Hollywood yet somehow cannot stay away from it, which generates greater money and fame for him. I doubt his sincerity and can't take him seriously at what he said about Hollywood influence when he is in the process of doing RH3. Being Chinese, I, among many friends I know, loathed Rush Hour 2 because I found many of the Chinese jokes in the movie tasteless and offensive. I want to see another Rush Hour movie like I want to have my eyebrows shaved. But it's safe to bet Jackie Chen will promote the movie heavily in HK and China because he owns piece of the moive. One cannot help but think that his statement is hypercritical.

Why are Hollywood films so popular and influencial? I really don't know. Maybe partly because of the savvy marketing, partly because of the deep pocket that Hollywood has. In a way it is like Walmart, a juggernaut that can bulldoze every mom-and-pop store. Many foreign film industries don't have the resources to fight that. HK film industry is in a surviving mode now. As much as I like Hollywood movies, I like to see HK movies and other movies from different countries as well. As much as I like Walmart's cheap price and convenience, I like to see other smaller stores. Varieties is a luxury that I'd like to have. (FYI, Walmart is also in Asia. : ) )
Pungyo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject:

Hi lio,

Thank you for further explaining your opinion. I understand completely. Yes, I suppose you would feel a bit cheated with Jackie saying what he did.

And you opened my eyes to the Rush Hour films... I didn't realize that they were insulting to Chinese people... I suppose because the films poked fun at Americans, too. I didn't think twice about it. Now I'll try to be more observant.

And news... I'm so disappointed that Hollywood is attempting to remake so many Asian films... they're never as good as the originals... but Hollywood remakes a lot of European films with the same result. Disappointing. My heart sank, just recently when I read that Tom Cruise is supposed to star in the remake of "The Eye." One of my all time favorite horror films... (I still think twice before stepping into an elevator Shocked)... I feel just by him being in it, the film is already ruined. Not talking

-K

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:18 am    Post subject:

Hey, how's it going? I haven't been on the site for awhile. This is an interesting subject that's brought up. I may be taking Mr. Chan's criticism to a whole different level, but I find that there's no problem about being influenced by another culture. Akira Kurosawa made a film based on Russian literature because he admired Dostoevsky. Wong Kar-wai is influenced by European films. It's just a matter of paying homage to a culture. There's a fine line between doing that and trying to imitate a culture.

I'm not sure if I'm off-topic here...I just wrote my essay paper on the controversy of "Memoirs of a Geisha," and that was a thesis of mine. Haha. It took me forever to write, and now I have nightmares about it.

I think Tom Cruise signed on to produce "The Eye," while Renee Zellweger will be starring in it.

--Thich Nhat Han
lio

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:08 am    Post subject:

Zen, we were talking about different things here.

There is a difference between cultural exchange/cultural appropriation and cultural imperialism.

Recently some schools in the U.S asked 50 cent's "get rich or die trying" movie billboards that are near school districts to be taken off, lest the image of billboards promoted gun violence. I haven't seen the movie, but if the movie promotes " the nilism" (see Prof. Cornell West's Race Matters"), then I personally don't want Hollywood jamming it down to our throat in Asia.

I used to work in a place where every restaurant round our office was a fast-food restaurant. Nothing against fast-food restaurant, but I'd like to have a choice of not eating hamburger and pizza every day. What I am saying is that noodle shop is fine. Don't kill the noodle shop. Try noodle sometimes.
Pungyo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject:

As far as fast food, I have to agree with you, again, lio. Fast food is soooo bad, bad, bad. I haven't been to a McDonalds in years!! (In fact, my son, who is vegetarian, calls it Mc Murder! Ha ha.) But, seriously, Americans are just realizing how healthy the Asian diet is... less meat, less fat... more vegetables... so there's a trend for that type of cooking here recently. But, corporate America has exported all of our bad habits to the rest of the world... how many of you smoke cigarettes?

Here, it's starting to be outlawed in different states... no smoking in public places... offices, restaurants, public transportation. And to think tobacco was originally used as a religious activity with the Native Americans... or smoked in a "peace pipe" to show good will towards another tribe. It took the Europeans who came to this country to make it a "habit."

I think we could have some long and interesting conversations, you and I, lio! Keep up your self expression... it's good to get others thinking!!

-K

P.S. I DO love noodles, too!! Wink

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:40 am    Post subject:

lio, I told you my mind wandered off a bit. I kind of see your point, but my opinion was on a different level/perspective. But, I do agree with you about your views. Your food analogy is awesome! I totally concur!

--Thich Nhat Han

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:53 am    Post subject: j chan

this is an interesting topic.

From my personal observation-- it's not so much Hollywood films but MTV & american pop videos going global in the 80's was when american pop culture took hold to the rest of the world.

I was living in England then & I saw how it truly influenced the Europeans kids in dress & even speech with their cute accents. it's the immediacy & accessibility of satellite TV.

Holywood was always around as heavy influence but nothing to this extent.

Right about Jackie too-- he collected a very FAT pay packet for RH2.. region of US $ 20mil..why he wasn't complaining over the racial slurs? He was also moaning why it so long to do 3 was bec Tucker was holding out for more & gross.. & ther sundries, being a very greedy sod. oh well .. it's not like he was in demand for his services for other films after these. he's maybe saving it all for HIS RETIREMENT.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: jackie chan

lio.. don't where you are in US but in the WESt coast.. where I am-- there's so much & many Asian fast food places-- your head will be reeling for choice. there's Thai, sushi bars galore, Chinese ( all types) even Korean ..etc.. you want it Asian-west fusion , home cooked.. whatever.. it's here. Actually, it's the tex-mex places that's hard to find now.Even pizza joints offer iit Asian style.
D-love

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:11 am    Post subject: Jacky hypocrite?

Hi friends,

As a minority here in America, I always find it disturbing, when I see explortation on any level. And I was born here! The limited view of all cultures that are depicted in films, only strengthen steriotypes,bigetry, and widens the gap of opportunity for us all. The biggest offenders are our so called heros in movies, music and on tv. We get so excited to see poeple that represent our race, that we sometimes over look the damage that they cause. Hip-Hop glorifying pimps and hoes, Latinos with drug cartels, Asians as Triad bosses and brothels, Arabs and Muslims are terrorists. Yes, I can feel for some actors and actresses, when they first got into the entertainment busness. They all did things they'er not proud of. But veterans like jacky Think Mmmm...? To be fare , If an actor wants to make a serious film about societies ills. They have to bow to the powers that be. Jacky and all the others have to play the game. For one role of dignity , you have to pay with 3 Rush Hours Boo hoo! . You know what my biggest fear is ?; not being seen or being farely represented at all. We have the power of the wallet. From Hollywood to Ballywood money talks, so... maybe the biggest hipocrite is us Embarassed . D-love

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject:

Well said, D-love! How old did you say you were?... 'cause I believe those are wise words coming from a young person.

-K

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject:

Pungyo wrote:
Well said, D-love! How old did you say you were?... 'cause I believe those are wise words coming from a young person.

-K
Hi friend, I'm 35. And as you can see, I can get pretty pationate about some topics Embarassed. Thank you very much Smile

D-love
   www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Random Thoughts All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: