TONYLEUNG.INFO
THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)

THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD

I'm going to HK... yay...

www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Get to know each other
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fireeater

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:43 am    Post subject: I'm going to HK... yay...

Dear all:

I'm so so happy... I'm actually going to HK tomorrow. So, I will catch Lust, Caution there, definitely...

Cheers to everyone,
fireeater-Vanni Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:45 am    Post subject:

I am happy for you! Congrats! Take lots of pictures and keep a journal!
fireeater

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:48 am    Post subject: Thanks news...

Thank you news... I will.

Take care,
fireeater

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:09 am    Post subject:

Hi Fireeater,

I would love to know what you think of the film, and what people in Hong Kong are saying about it. So far, the English language press has not captured whatever buzz this film is generating in Asia. I think the reaction to the film, especially in the pan-Chinese community, may be quite different from that in the West. Our understanding of the cultural context of the film is very limited in the West and simply will not have the resonnance it will in Asia. It may play as a completely different film for the Chinese audience, which, from what Ang Lee has been saying, is his intended audience. He is showing the film in the West almost as an afterthought. It was Chinese audiences he had in mind when he made the film, not any Western audience.

Marie
nellyesque

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject:

Hi Fireeater (or is it Vanni?)!
Congratulations! Have a safe and fun trip! Smile
wan yu

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:22 am    Post subject:

congrats!! and yes remember to take pictures around Wink !

take care
wan yu =)
fireeater

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:47 am    Post subject: To Marie, Nellyesque & Wan Yu

Dear Marie, Nellyesque and Wan Yu:

I just arrived in HK (24 Sept). My flight from Singapore was a bit delayed as there was a tropical storm earlier in HK. Got into the hotel by 7pm HK time and went to the mall next door called Pacific Place and found that there is a cinema place there. I just bought the ticket but the film is showing tomorrow night at 9pm.

So, tomorrow night will be it... Oh yes, I really do hope it's subtitled in English. I was so excited about finding a cinema nearby that plays Lust, Caution, I forgot to ask if it is subtitled... Anyway, I'm here for a few days only, but I would probably see the film twice.

On the way from the airport, I passed by Palace apm, another cinema in Kowloon and the poster for Lust, Caution there was huge (I meant Tony's picture was huge). The car that took me was going too fast that I couldn't take a picture of it.

Mid Autumn festival is going on right now (celebrating the harvest moon) and I heard it is beautiful (I'm a foreigner myself here, so I'm excited about everything).

I'll write more soon.

Take care guys,
fireeater

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:40 am    Post subject:

Hi fireeater,

I can picture Pacific Place in my mind's eye - can't wait to hear what you think of the film Smile
Info

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:41 am    Post subject:

Enjoy your stay in HK. For your information, Ang Lee, Tang Wei and Leehom was in Pacific Place AMC on 22 Sept to say hi to the audience (mainly HK crews of <Lust, Caution>).
nellyesque

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject:

Yay! I'm glad you arrived in Hong Kong safely! Enjoy the Mid-Autumn festivities! Laterns hhaha! Yay!!!
Marie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject:

Now I will display my cultural ignorance--but here goes. Could someone describe the mid-Autumn festival for me? This is the first I have heard of it (besides Chinese New Year, us non-Asians just don't hear about these traditional festivals here in the US). I am hoping to learn more about Chinese culture while participating on the list. I think I have found a couple of books that should give me an introduction to Chinese literature, too. I just read in Time Magazine this week that 23% of the world's population is Chinese. I think I have some catching up to do. Smile

Thanks for helping me deepen my knowledge of these cultural things. You are all so kind to put up with my ignorance in these matters.

Marie
marsha

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject:

Hi Fireater!! Wow! I envy you for being in Hong Kong. How I wish I could be there too to see the place. Hope you will enjoy your stay, and of course catch Tony's latest flick Lust, Caution. Maybe you can visit Jettone ( Tony's management company ) too in Causeway Bay.

Take care!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject:

Hi Marie!
Perhaps the following wikipedia article may help you gain a better understanding of the festival?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid_Autumn_Festival

Like a lot of holidays, the Mid Autumn Festival has become commercialized...it's become all about selling those little moon cakes. I tihnk in Taiwan they are selling Moon Cakes in packages that were desiged by the people who designed the "In the Mood for Love" posters. The fact they have to market that point is slightly ridiculous haha. But anyhoo, are you familiar with the actor, Eric Tsang(He was Tony's triad boss in "Infernal Affairs")? He's a spokesman for a rather popular brand of moon cakes! I personally don't like Moon cakes because they're really heavy (in terms of fat, cholesterol and calories), but my Aunt makes some awesome organic fruit based ones haha!

The moon will be at its roundest and fullest tomorrow! Yay!
Marie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject:

Hi Nellyesque,

Thanks for the reference. I'll check it out.

Moon Cakes, I guess I get it, they are white and round like the fall harvest moon. What are they made out of? I had some "sweets" once that somebody at work brought back from Hong Kong, and they weren't sweet at all (at least by sugar-laden Western standards). I'm trying to imagine what a moon cake might taste like.

How interesting that most festivals the world over are linked with specific foods (the Thanksgiving turkey immediately comes to mind here in the US).

Marie
   www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Get to know each other All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: