TonyLeung.Info
This is an Archival Discussion Board (2003-2012)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   
Click here to go to 2013- New Tony Board

4 Apr 2009 Tony on Japanese TV Programme

www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Tony Leung Schedule
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Info

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:41 am    Post subject: 4 Apr 2009 Tony on Japanese TV Programme

Video: http://www.56.com/u67/v_NDIzNjMyNTY.html

Video 2: http://www.tv-asahi.co.jp/shinobi-na/090425redcliff.asx

Last edited by Info on Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Info

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:59 am    Post subject:

Tony's interview by Openers

Q: This time with the movie "Red Cliff", have you been influenced by the other casts and the director ?

A: This time, this work was like a mission to me. From the beginning to the end I had a feeling that it would be too difficult to complete this project because it was such a big scale and so many people were involved.
But when it actually completed, I thought it had never be impossible even if it seemed very hard, when everyone got together their efforts and never give up. So this was a very precious experience and left me a deep impression.

Q: How did you create the character "Shu Yu" ?

A: When I accepted this role, I didn't have enough time to prepare before start shooting, so this time, I was developing the role along with actual shooting at the location. I haven't tried this method before, so this was a new and very good experience for me.

Q: Which was the hardest scene you remember ?

A: The hardest thing was wearing heavy clothes in the very hot whether and still had to do some action scenes.

Q: What do you think was the reason for this movie to be a biggest hit in Asia ?

A: It was because this movie was the big scale and also combination of good actors and staffs.
This time, John Woo returned to Asia from Hollywood and shoot this movie with excellent staffs from China, Hong Kong and Taiwan to make it to match with the expectation of the Asian audiences. Also everyone knows this story.

Q: Could you tell me what is attractive of Takeshi Kaneshiro and Lin Chi Ling ?

A: I have worked with Takeshi before for "C o P", so we knew each other quite well and there is something like a tacit understanding between us. At the location, he knew what he wanted to do, and often had seen him talking to the director about how he should act the role.
For Miss Lin, this was the first movie, however she was a hardworking and also very intelligent. She had prepared enough before shooting and it was enjoyable to work with her.

Q: What do you think about "Sho Kyo" by Miss Lin and another lady "Shou Kou" ?

A:"Sho Kyo" was a very kind hearted woman and pliable just like water stream. On the other hand, "Shou Kou" by Vicky Chao was very open hearted, straightforward and a bit of a tomboy. Both women, director Woo described in this movie were very kind and intelligent. They were not only kind and beautiful, but they were also thoughtful, considerate and willing to sacrifice themselves. These are the things about them I found very attractive.

Q: In this movie, there are different types of leaders like "Sou Sou" "Liu Bi" and "Son Ken", what do you think about an ideal leader ?

A: I think the person should be democratic, able to listen to the people and understand them.

Q: Is it like your role "Shu Yu" ?

A: Yes, he loved people around him, I would like person like him to be a leader.

Q: I think in this movie, he is faultless....

A: I think he must have some faults, but John Woo didn't show that. He might had been someone sloppy who couldn't even tidy up his house. (laugh)

Q: Is there any similarity between you and "Shu Yu" ?

A: He is the type of man who is not saying anything and bottles up everything inside himself. As he is a commander , if he shows any sign of anxiety or being under pressure, it gives bad influence to the soldiers. This may be similar to me.

Q: This time, in part 2, there was the scene where your wife "Sho Kyo" went to the enemy's base, and you were worried about her but still had to fight for the country. If you had to choose between your family and loyalty, what would you do ?

A: From "Shu Yu"'s point of view, it must be very complicated. He knew that his wife did that for him, so he was thankful to her but at the same time it was very painful because he was worried about her.
If something like that happened in a real life, I would think that's intolerable. (laugh) I think happy family together is the most important for me, so I hope this kind of things only happens in a movies.

Q: What do you think "Shu Yu" fought this war for ?

A: He wanted to protect his land. He knew that "Sou Sou"'s army was invading his country, so he was prepared and trained to fight the war. But he probably didn't want to fight, it was only way to protect his own people.

Q: So he didn't fight for his wife ?

A: "Shu Yu" and director Woo are very similar. They both want to protect the country and be loved wife. Director Woo works very hard but taking care of his wife very well. He doesn't give up his home for the work. They are the same. He takes his wife to the location and "Shu Yu" took his wife to the battle field.

Q: What is the most important thing in partnership ?

A: Trust. But it is only possible to build up with time and going thru each incidents.

Q: What would you like to say to the people in the next generation thru this movie ?

A: This "Battle of the Red Cliff" was one of the very special war. The smaller army had a victory against the much bigger one. If you don't give up and continue with a belief and courage, then the world gets brighter place and you can make it successfully.
There isn't anything impossible in the world, so don't give up easily. Everything is possible.

(Thanks Eri for translation)

Source: http://openers.jp/culture/cinema/cinema007496.html

===============

Source: http://cinematoday.jp/page/A0002157
   www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Tony Leung Schedule All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: