TonyLeung.Info
This is an Archival Discussion Board (2003-2012)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   
Click here to go to 2013- New Tony Board

ITMFL & 2046

www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Tony Leung Movies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Evie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:17 pm    Post subject: ITMFL & 2046

I have a question...

In the ending scene of ITMFL, where Chow Mo Wan is seen finally confiding his secret to that monument hole... and in 2046, where the Japanese fella is "trying" to confide his...

I just meant to ask; is this an actual Chinese myth or is it just a brilliant idea by the screenwriter and Wong Kar-Wai?
Looney Tune

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:48 pm    Post subject:

Good question Think
Raphael

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject:

sorry i dunno where to post this so i put it here :
for French readers, a short but interesting article about ITMFL,

http://www.cadrage.net/films/inthemoodforlove/inthemoodforlove.html
Tony Obsessed

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject:

Changing topic to 2046, does anyone else think the scene is hilarious when Tony has half of his moustache shaved off? That cracks me up everytime I see the film!
Tony Obsessed

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject:

I've just shown In The Mood For Love to my friend Kathrine (it's the first film she's seen with Tony in). She said that the film was good and that Tony was very handsome and cute in it! I couldn't have put it better myself! Next week, I'm planning to show her 2046, which I'm sure she'll enjoy just as much. Also I have a question for all those who have seen In The Mood For Love (SPOILER ALERT) Do you guys think that Tony is the father of Maggie's young son, who is seen briefly at the end of the film? I think he is. The reason being the scene where another man tells Chow that a woman and her son live next door, seems to hint to the audience that Tony is indeed the father of the boy. (SPOILERS END)
Info

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject:

This is an unanswered question, even by WKW. He just left it open to the audiences' interpretation.
Tony Obsessed

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:36 am    Post subject:

I've shown 2046 to my friend Kathrine today and she said that she liked it even more than In The Mood For Love. It seems I've made a Tony fan out of her too now! Laughing She's succumbed to his charms! love

Last edited by Tony Obsessed on Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Safran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:22 am    Post subject: WKW - human genius !

Hello Evie !
With regard to your question:

The more I watch WKW films, the more I believe there are no chances in his "stories".
I think he has razorsharp mind and a big heart that is open for everything, he knows what´s what and sees the coherences (even through years)
Every time there is something new to discover in the same movie - adorable!

Greetings!

P.S. Just now I recognized that your question is from 2005 (!) Maybe you have forgotten it but my answer is the same!
Info

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:23 pm    Post subject:

Madonna on ITMFL

In a conversation with director Gus Van Sant for Interview magazine, Madonna spoke about her admiration for Wong Kar-wai:

MADONNA: I look at movies like Wong Kar-Wai’s films, and they all have such a familylike feeling about them. He just keeps working with the same actors and art director and DP, and the stories don’t change that much. There seems to be this familiarity there that must be such a nice luxury.
VAN SANT: Wong Kar-Wai is a really great inspiration. He’s always referred to as the Jimi Hendrix of filmmaking.
MADONNA: What does that mean?
VAN SANT: It means that he’s so loose and familiar with his craft that he can sort of do anything.
MADONNA: I was actually watching In the Mood for Love [2000] again last night because I love the music. And I mean, how overused is slow motion in film? But, for some reason, he gets away with it. Every time the characters pass each other on the stairs, there’s that same piece of music. It’s so beautiful. He has these two married couples living next door to each other, and you never see the wife of one couple or the husband of the other, but you always hear them talking. And it’s not so much of a story, but you’re so sucked into it. It’s something to be envied. While the stories seem simple, you really end up feeling kind of devastated and moved and melancholic every time you watch one of his movies-well, I do, anyway.
VAN SANT: I do too.
MADONNA: But maybe there’s something wrong with me. Maybe I’m just a sucker.
VAN SANT: No, I think they’re very strong films.

http://wongkarwainews.wordpress.com/2010/05/04/madonna-is-a-fan-of-wong-kar-wai/
Jamaica

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:43 pm    Post subject:

Madonna's observation is so accurate, about his films seeming so simple, and yet they convey so much under the surface that they can absolutely devastate you, emotionally. Maybe Kar Wai nudges the audience into finding their emotional equivalent to what the characters are going through. Where does Kar Wai's story end and the audience's begin? (?) Maybe that's why some people love Kar Wai's films so much, and yet others are completely bored by them - the film's success depends, partly, on how much energy and emotion the audience expends on the story, as it plays out. (?)
   www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Tony Leung Movies All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: