TonyLeung.Info
This is an Archival Discussion Board (2003-2012)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   
Click here to go to 2013- New Tony Board

Which performance of Tony's do you think is his best?

www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Tony Leung Movies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony Obsessed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:42 am    Post subject: Which performance of Tony's do you think is his best?

For me it's very difficult to choose, as he's a consistantly fantastic actor, but my personal favourite is 2046. He shows a lot of emotion and really excels himself as Mr. Chow, in my opinion.
francisc4

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:26 am    Post subject:

For me, his best performance are in "Bullet In The Head" & "Hard Boiled".
I can feel his emotion and he was absolutely fantastic in this movie.. Shocked

Cisca
Eri

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject:

I like almost all of Tony's movies, specially "Happy Together" in which I can see Tony's very real personal feeling at times in the role of Fai, but if I choose his best performance, it has to be "Lust Caution".
Tony must put all his energy and effort to make this one, and no wonder he was both physically and mentally exhausted afterwards. It must had been very hard for everyone involved with this movie, but I am pretty sure Tony was satisfied with the result.
Because of Tony's great performance and the professional team, this movie is so impressive that you never forget if you watch it once.
I also think "Lust Caution" was produced with giving attention to even very small details, so I can find something new every time I watch this.
If you watch this movie, Mr. Yee is sneaking into your heart.
Tony Obsessed

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:25 am    Post subject:

Eri wrote:

What exactly do you mean by this? From what I've heard Yee is not a nice character at all, so I'm curious why do you feel this way about him?
flavichu

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: best performance

I don't know, really, so many to choose from...

I love Mr. Chow and how different he is from ITMFL and 2046. I think he's great in Hard Boiled, when he has to kill his boss and you can see his face changing from carelessness to utter sadness.

But I have to agree that Lust, Caution is just awesome. I don't know if had said this before here in the forum, but my grandpa was a man of the 40s, even when he was 90 years old he still dressed in suits and hats from that time. I never saw him wearing anything but formal slacks, long sleeves, vests... and his demeanor, his gait, the way he talked, so reminiscent of that age. So, when I was watching LC I just kept remembering him. Tony walked like my grandad, his tone, the way in which he sat dow, at the table for breakfast, in the white rocking chair, the way he removed his hat. I was SO REAL that I could even remember the smells and sounds in my grandfather's house (which by the way was built and decorated in the 40's and remained exactly the same until I was about 17, and then it was only the living room set that was reupholstered)

So yes, I guess my favorite performance is LC
Eri

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject:

Tony Obsessed wrote:
Eri wrote:

What exactly do you mean by this? From what I've heard Yee is not a nice character at all, so I'm curious why do you feel this way about him?

Of course, Mr.Yee is not a nice person, however I can understand how and why he had to be like that. If you imagine the person in the situation like "Being No.1 enemy of the society and can't trust anyone including his own wife or secretary ", and although he was trying so hard to be a cold blooded man with no personal feelings, he still wanted to have someone who can understand him.

Perhaps not everyone feels the same after watching this movie, but I felt like "I try to understand him at least because it is impossible to help him, and I know he can never get out of the hell rest of his life". This lonely man's shadow is staying in my heart since then.

To tell you the truth, my feeling to Mr. Yee may be pretty much depend on Tony being Mr.Yee, if it was some other actor, I might feel differently.
katwoman64

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject:

Hi Eri,
I have to say that not many actors can perform "that" Mr Yee. Tony works so much with his eyes, and can change your perspective, your perception in a blink of an eye. What was the question? My favourite Tony's scene? Hard to answer. All the above are famous scenes, they gained public recognition. But maybe I think fondly of a scene in "Blind Romance". Well, the scene is one in which a blind Tony sings and dances. In a hartbeat he pulls together his act. He changes the whole perception of the movie. You are there, asking yourself how come that you are watching a film so ugly, so dumb. And then, WHAM!, it is real, all the situation becomes realistic and you believe in what is happening on the screen. That is nothing short of MAGIC.
This is why I think he's so great
Bye
K
Tony Obsessed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:38 am    Post subject:

katwoman64 wrote:
What was the question? My favourite Tony's scene? Hard to answer.

BTW Kat the question was about his best performance not scene. Hope this doesn't sound rude.
katwoman64

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject:

Noooo Eve,
Never rude! It is me that am fast becoming senile.
You are right, I knew an instant after sending my answer. Anyway, look the film and tell me what you think. Better if you review it. You have this great quality: very short and clear.
A hug and a kiss
K
ben

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject:

"Bullet in the head" has to take it I think. Followed by "Hard Boiled".

But I think it also depends on what type of films the individual fan enjoys the most, and which of those films Tony has been in that they enjoy the most or have the strongest feeling from, if that makes sense.

I like to watch everything but crime/cop/action films are my most favorite, and Tony's performances in the above are outstanding. That's why I would value those higher than, for example "2046". That film "2046" is great and a emotional performance by Tony, but I might not appreciate it as much as somebody else who enjoys such a more dramatic type of film.
katwoman64

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:38 am    Post subject:

Hi Ben,
I like what "works" cinematographically speaking. In chinese cinema it is especially interesting, because they can't rely on most of the paraphernalia common in american cinema. They have to make do with mostly the actors and good cuts and direction. And they do amazing things. Tony is so special because he is so versatile. He was upstanding when he was very young too.
I think that we have "female" films (art films, films about feelings)and "male" films (mostly action). I go for whatever works, I mean, elicits sensations and feelings in me, what lets me thinking for a while after seeing it. I love creativity, that shows at its best when the product is almost naked (no special effects, no wirework, no doubles).
I think that both films you mentioned are incredible in cut, rithm, coreographies, artistry. And Tony's contribute to them is what made them this good, invaluable!
Bye
K
Joank

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:09 am    Post subject:

For me on the first place a Mr. Yee in "Lust, caution".
In my opinion, it is the most unusual role for Toni, it is too unlike its usual roles.
leng

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject:

It is Lust Caution. This is a real different and difficult role that he really acted and fitted the role so well! It is a stellar performance and I can feel his effort. He was exceptional acting from a ruthless traitor who does not trust anyone to finally giving his heart to Wang Jia Zhi. It is unlike what he has done before. Not to mention the sacrifices he made, learning to speak Mandarin like a Chinese, and having to strip bare and yet act like he is doing the real thing. I salute him for that.

Another one that is real good is Confession of Pain. He acted so evil that it sends chills down my spine. Especially the scene where he turned and smile. It is unlike any of his smiles in the past. Compare the scene in infernal affairs where he turned and smile and you will get what I mean.

Nonetheless I love him and all his performances.
In The Mood For Leung

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject:

For me, ITMFL is TL's iconic and quintessential performance.
He also wins 'Best Actor' in my book for his sterling performance in:
Chungking Express
Happy Together
Infernal Affairs
Lust, Caution
Red Cliff

I believe all his performances are top-rate, even the early comedies.
He was also great in Cyclo.
marsha

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject:

Hi everyone! For me, Tony's best was his perfomance in Lust, Caution. He was amazing in that movie, actualy so amazing that I could not see him as Tony but as Mr. Yee. Rolling Eyes
   www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Tony Leung Movies All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: