TonyLeung.Info
This is an Archival Discussion Board (2003-2012)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   
Click here to go to 2013- New Tony Board

Tony's interview in Movie Walker

www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Tony Leung Articles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anny

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:42 pm    Post subject: Tony's interview in Movie Walker

http://www.walkerplus.com/tokyo/latestmovie/title/mwtv/mo5879_21_1m.html

Tony talked in Cantonese. But my Cantonese and English are poor.
I'm very sorry.
Please translate this interview.
Eri

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject:

Hi anny,

Here is the translation of this interview.

Q: How did you create Shu Yu's role ?

T: At first, I had to read a lot of reference of this character. After that I understood that Director John Woo wanted to make this movie to be similar to the one of the Three Kingdom Stories which was based on the actual history. As there are mainly two quite different stories, one is based on the history and another is a fictional story, and I needed to know actual Shu Yu in history.
For that there were some problems. There weren't enough historical materials of Shu yu left, and another was that I suddenly decided to take this role, I didn't have enough time to prepare in advance.
In the end I had to create this role when I got to the location and as we were shooting just like Wong Ka Wai's way.

Q: It had been quite a long time since you worked with John Woo previously, how did you find that ?

T: This time, it was very different from previous times. As soon as I was there I felt this movie's main theme which was "Power of unity". Before I arrived the location, I asked John Woo "Why have you decided to shoot this movie ? It's very hard, do you think you can complete the shooting ?", however when I arrived at the location and saw the Director, I felt I shouldn't have worried.
He was so optimistic even when he faced a lot of difficulties. Compare with him, I am pretty pessimistic. I learned a positive way of thinking from him this time.

Q: What is a Hero to you ? Which character is the closest to the hero in this movie ?

T: I think the hero is the person who can treat others with love and respects. I think all the characters in this movie are heros and that's why I was very happy to work with them.

Q: What do you think is the most important thing as a professional ?

T: Actually, I don't really know. At the location, it was very hard but as I was the leading role, I felt like I had to be a role model for others, but on the other hand, it was not so good to feel too much pressure, so I tried to feel positive and happy to enjoy the shooting. This kind of attitude also made others happy and relaxed.
It is quite often very strained atmosphere at filming locations, so it is important to help and encourage each other.

Q: What is your mainspring for your work ?

T: I think it is the enthusiasm for the movies. I have been very lucky to work with a lot of wonderful movie makers and directors. Because of them, I've been able to keep fresh feeling for movies. By meeting them, my way of thinking changed. When I finished shooting one movie, because of the achievement, I felt like I reached the peak, but then another director who I worked with the next movie showed me another peak in different direction. That's why I kept finding new target in front of me every time, and I can keep fresh enthusiasm.
anny

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject:

Dear Eri,
Thank you very much for your translation.
I like and respect his attitude for others and enthusiasm for the movies.
I want all his fans to know his thought.
katwoman64

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:13 am    Post subject:

Dear Eri,
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU
Kat
ben

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject:

Dear Eri,
Thank you for the translation.
francisc4

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:42 am    Post subject:

Dear Eri,
thanks a lot... Smile

Cisca
   www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Tony Leung Articles All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: