TONYLEUNG.INFO
Discuss Tony Leung with fellow fans!

Welcome to the Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
  Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages   
Click here to go to Archival Tony Board (2003-2012)

Critics Compare The Grandmaster to Ashes of Time
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> The Latest Tony News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sparkles_n15

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Critics Compare The Grandmaster to Ashes of Time Reply with quote

From today's Mingpao

《一代宗師》被評似《東邪西毒》
梁朝偉不信拍竣 章子怡稱「上了賊船」 文章日期:2013年1月7日

【明報專訊】王家衛執導,梁朝偉主演的《一代宗師》籌備至拍攝長達14年,終於宣布完工,明天(8日)面世。輕鬆多了的偉仔昨午出席在北京舉行的記者會,3年拍攝期令他盡吐苦水,難怪他有點不相信已拍竣。章子怡更形容拍攝過程像「上了賊船」,她決定以後不拍功夫片。影評方面讚多過彈,更有影評人形容《一代宗師》與《東邪西毒》如出一轍,葉問脫下長袍換上西裝的一幕,根本就是《花樣年華》的周慕雲附體(詳見另文)。

《一代宗師》明天在內地上映,王家衛昨日率領梁朝偉、章子怡、張震等在北京出席記者會,曾傳不滿王家衛拖期的宋慧喬缺席。

有影評人看完該片後作出評價,除了鏡頭完美之外,故事的詩意表達與《東邪西毒》如出一轍,而葉問脫下長袍換上西裝的一幕, 更是活生生的「周慕雲附體」。

預告片拍足30個通宵

50歲的偉仔談到歷時3年的拍攝:「畢竟我47歲才開始練功夫,兩次斷手,每次要數個月休養,令之前苦練的成果白費,不是很痛苦嗎?」最早曝光的雨夜打戲預告片畫面震撼,原來偉仔背後辛酸。「拍了30個通宵,我跟王家衛說導演我不行了,頂不順了;導演說好好好,就這樣了。結果又拍了一星期,拍完我以為肺炎,結果是氣管炎,在上躺了5天。半年來長期拍夜班戲,殺青後需要調節,晚上12時睡覺,凌晨4、5時就起,天未亮去跑步,劉嘉玲致電問我去了哪裏,那段時間身體實在很累。」

偉仔坦言初時有點不相信拍竣:「殺青那天我還以為會特別興奮,導演說『梁朝偉,最後一個鏡頭』,拍完後我沒有太開心,可能感覺之後還有配音、宣傳等工作,還是有點不相信。以我的經驗,可以吃兩次慶功宴都要繼續回去拍,3天後接到電話『有場戲其實還可以更好,還是回來補一下』,也有這個可能。」他表示返港後大概沉澱四五天,整個人輕鬆很多,「原來一直壓力很大,人繃得很緊。王家衛在片場好輕鬆,他從來不急,急的都是我們。」甄子丹的《葉問》快拍到第3集,《一代宗師》常被笑拍太久,偉仔說:「你去吃炸雞也要等啊!兩部戲不同。我們拍這麼久是需要這麼長時間才能做到,所以沒什麼好說。」他表示需要休息,暫不拍電影。

章子怡不再拍功夫片

章子怡飾演八卦掌宗師宮二,她表示前晚首次看到電影完成版本後,一夜沒睡。「從身體和角色考慮,我決定以後不再拍功夫片。歲數大了,這次練功發現以前有好多舊患,身體處於超出負荷狀態。」章子怡笑說拍攝過程好像上了「賊船」,「3年時間練武與角色相處,感受到角色的命運坎坷」。

王家衛仲想繼續拍

王家衛常被問為何拍這麼久,他說:「有這麼好的演員給我支撐,如果有時間,我願意一直拍下去。雖然捨不得,但要見大家,《一代宗師》是展現中國人的美。」

張晉打戲獲激讚

張晉飾演的馬三在片中一場與章子怡在火車站對打戲,看過試片的人激讚,形容為全片亮點,展現功力。張晉說:「今次拍打戲壓力很大,實打而不像以往,一門一派都是非常清晰。」

+++

Critics Compare The Grandmaster to Ashes of Time

Directed by Wong Kar Wai and staring Tony Leung, the film The Grandmaster will finally arrive in theatres tomorrow (January 8th) after 14 years in the making. A visibly relaxed Tony attended the press conference yesterday in Beijing. After enduring three gruelling years of filming, it almost seems impossible that the film has finally been completed. Zhang Ziyi says that the whole filming process made her feel like she was "being cheated". She decided never to film a martial arts movie again. The majority of critics have been giving praises for the movie. Some have said that The Grandmaster and the film Ashes of Time are very similar, while others say that when Yip Man removes his changpao and puts on a suit, it's eerily similar to the character Chow Mo-wan from In the Mood for Love.

The movie is slated to open tomorrow in Mainland China. WKW brought Tony Leung, Zhang Ziyi and Chang Chen to Beijing for the press conference yesterday. Once rumoured to be on bad terms with WKW due to the delay in filming, actress Song Hye-kyo was absent from the event.

Movie critics agree that the film was beautifully shot. The film also gave off a poetic feeling that was similar to Ashes of Time. There was also a sense that the character Chow Mo-wan was being brought back to life after seeing Yip Man dressed in a suit.

Currently 50 years old, Tony recalls the three years he spent making the movie. "I started training when I was 47. I broke my arm twice and each time it would take months to heal. Then I would have to start training from scratch again. Wouldn't you say the process was painful?" The first promotional clip showed Yip Man fighting a crowd of men in the rain. While the trailer captured everyone's attention, Tony can only recall the pain he went through filming that scene. "We spent about 30 days filming into the night. I told WKW that I couldn't handle it anymore. He just said it was fine and brushed it off. We ended up filming another week. Once we were done I was certain I caught pneumonia, but it was tracheitis. I ended up resting for five days. During those six months I was constantly filming from night till the morning. Once we finished I had to fix my body clock. I would sleep at midnight, then wake up early morning around 4 or 5am to go jogging. Carina would call asking me where I went. During that time my body was extremely exhausted."

Tony says he was in disbelief when the movie was finally done. "On the last day of filming I thought I would be ecstatic. When the director called out 'Tony this is your last shot' I wasn't particularly happy about it. Perhaps in my mind I was thinking of other work I had to do, such as voice dubbing and promotions for the movie. I really didn't believe it was finally over. In my experience, we had two celebratory dinners for the movie and still had to continue filming. You never know what might happen. Three days later I may get a call saying 'This scene could actually be shot better, why don't you come back and reshoot it?'." After Tony got back to Hong Kong, he had to rest for four, five days to unwind. "The pressure was very great and I was at the brink. In comparison WKW was very relaxed on set and was never in a hurry. We were the ones wanting to speed things up." Donnie Yen's Ip Man franchise will soon be filming its third instalment, while The Grandmaster seems to be taking its time. "Well when you go eat fried chicken you still have to wait! Both movies are very different. This movie really did require the amount of time it took to complete." Tony says he needs more time to rest and will not be filming any projects for now.

Zhang Ziyi portrays a master of the baguazhang in the film. She says she wasn't able to sleep last night after watching the film from start to finish. "Based on my current health and the different roles, I've decided not to accept any more martial arts films. I'm starting to get older and I discovered a lot of old injuries while filming this movie. I think my body has reached past its max." Zhang Ziyi jokes that she feels 'cheated' filming this movie. "I spent three years training and being in character for this movie. I've felt all the ups and downs my character has gone through."

WKW has constantly been asked why he takes so long with his films, "I've been given such a wonderful cast. If there's more time, I would rather continue filming. While I'm a little sad that it's over, this movie has to make its way out to the theatres. The Grandmaster will show everyone the beauty of Chinese people."

Max Zhang plays the character Ma San in the film and has an intense fight scene with Zhang Ziyi at a train station. Those who have seen the film have said that it's the highlight of the movie. Max says, "I had a lot of pressure filming this movie. The action scenes aren't like the ones before. Every action had to be precise to show the different styles of fighting."
Tin-Yau

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for sharing, Jenny! Very interesting article!
Safran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many Thanks, Jenny Very Happy
This article makes me the more curious about "The Grandmaster " Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's something actors generally don't care to hear about, how a character in a new film makes the audience think about a character in an old film... Rolling Eyes I suppose they don't mean the personality, so much, just that image of putting on a suit, but really....
Jamaica

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
That's something actors generally don't care to hear about, how a character in a new film makes the audience think about a character in an old film... Rolling Eyes I suppose they don't mean the personality, so much, just that image of putting on a suit, but really....

Sorry, forgot to log in. That was me. Naturally. Who else would be so negative? Confused
sparkles_n15

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New article from today's Mingpao

梁朝偉痛心戲分「失蹤」
章子怡揚言肯定嫁得出 文章日期:2013年1月8日

梁朝偉、章子怡、張震及張晉昨日繼續為電影《一代宗師》在北京宣傳,今日大隊則會回歸在香港舉行首映禮。身在北京的張藝謀亦專程捧《一代宗師》場,與王家衛、章子怡及陳道明在首映後聚首懇談,並拍合照以行動為該片打氣。而偉仔昨日透露看完首映,他最心痛是所拍的戲分很多都「失蹤」了。

完整版《一代宗師》4小時

昨日偉仔、章子怡、張震及張晉不約而同戴上太陽眼鏡接受訪問,他們表示是要向導演致敬。王家衛透露該片的完整版長達4小時,最終剪得130分鐘版本,並為了故事的完整性,不得不作出取捨,刪減了很多演員的戲分。

拍攝過程畢生難忘

偉仔最重戲亦刪得最多戲,被無情剪刀「傷」得最多的他表示,每次看完王家衛的電影心情都是一樣,很疑惑自己拍攝的戲分到底去了哪裏呢?每次他都要再看兩、三次才能投入當中,然後再想到章子怡與小沈陽的戲,又去了哪裏?為何都配好音的戲分又沒有了。偉仔坦言這幾年讓他畢生難忘,除了學到新事物,更創造了新角色,而且他從小亦迷功夫,沒想到40幾歲才學功夫,但他是享受及覺得好玩。他稱自己從來在王家衛戲裏,都沒有這麼正面與樂觀,充滿正能量。

最拿手煮雞蛋炒番茄

同樣地,章子怡表示有一幕表現其內心孤獨的戲很傷感,但很有力量,她以為可以保留,一直等到字幕出來了才心死,真的被刪了;不過,她明白只得兩小時十分鐘,王家衛的確難以取捨,自己作為演員亦與觀眾一樣不看到最後,根本不知王家衛的結局是怎樣。

章子怡還接受了內地節目《超級訪問》,她即席耍出習武多時的八卦掌,令全場掌聲雷動;她回憶被習武老師的地獄式訓練亦毫無怨言。至於大家都關注她的婚姻大事,正在蜜運的章子怡坦言肯定會把自己嫁出去;她更透露自己最拿手是煮雞蛋炒番茄。

+++

Yesterday, actors Tony Leung Chiu-wai, Zhang Ziyi, Chang Chen and Max Zhang Jun continued to promote the film ‘The Grandmaster’ in Beijing. Today, the team will return to Hong Kong for the premiere. ‘Hero’ director Zhang Yimou who was in Beijing also showed his support for ‘The Grandmaster’ and met with Wong Kar-wai, Zhang Ziyi, and Chen Daoming after the premiere for a brief chat and photos. Tony Leung revealed after the premiere that his heart ached the most over many “missing” scenes.

Yesterday Tony Leung, Zhang Ziyi, Chang Chen and Zhang Jun all wore sunglasses for their interview, saying that they wanted to salute the director. Wong Kar-wai revealed that the film’s rough cut was 4 hours, and finally he cut it down to a 130 minute version. For the completeness of the story he had to make choices and cut many actors’ scenes.

Tony Leung had the most screen time but also had the most scenes removed. Suffering the most “cuts” from editing, he said that every time after watching Wong Kar-wai’s movies he felt the same way as he questioned where did his scenes go? Every time he had to watch the film two or three more times before he was able to get into it. Then he would think where did Zhang Ziyi and Xiao Shenyang‘s scenes went? Why would scenes that had finished voice work were not included? Leung admitted that he would remember these few years for a lifetime, aside from learning something new he also created a new character. In addition he has been a kung fu fan since childhood, he never imagined that he would study kung fu in his 40s. However he still enjoyed it and thought it was a lot of fun. He said that he has never been so positive and optimistic in a Wong Kar-wai movie, as he was full of positive energy.

In the same manner, Zhang Ziyi said that she thought a scene in which she expressed her inner loneliness was very sad but very powerful would be kept in the film. Her hope finally died when the end credits came up on screen as it was truly removed; however, she understood that with only 2 hours and 10 minutes, Wong Kar-wai indeed had a hard time with the decision. As an actor, she like the audience had no idea what Wong Kar-wai’s completed film would be until the very end.

Zhang Ziyi also appeared on a Chinese Mainland television program. She demonstrated her well practiced Eight Diagram palm and won thunderous applause from the audience. She recalled that she had no complaint despite the trainer’s hellish training. Everyone was concerned with when she was getting married, Zhang Ziyi admitted that she will definitely wed and even revealed that her best dish was egg and tomato.

====================

Sorry no time to translate, but parts of it say that Tony was pained by the amount of screen time that got cut from the finished movie. WKW says that the original version of the film was four hours long, but had to be trimmed down to 130 minutes. Tony has the most screen time in the movie, but his scenes were the ones that got cut the most. He says that every time he watches WKW's completed films he always wonders where his screen time went. Sometimes he has to watch it two or three times before he starts to realize that other actors also had their scenes cut. Then he remembers that everyone had already completed dubbing for those scenes, but those scenes never ended up in the finished version.

HEHE Wink
Jamaica

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sure hope much of the deleted stuff ends up on the DVD. I hope Kar-Wai didn't cut Tony's most character-defining, and well-executed acting scenes for the sake of length. Movies should be driven by character, not plot, as far as I'm concerned. Actors should be more than pawns to their directors. They should be the director's soul.
ham

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.Jenny Very Happy
Tin-Yau

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparkles_n15 wrote:
... the original version of the film was four hours long, but had to be trimmed down to 130 minutes.:

Then let`s hope for a "Director`s Cut" BluRay! Cool

But if it would be a German movie, it usually get cut down to 90 minutes. Crying or Very sad

Thanks for sharing, Jenny!
yitian

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jenny for your effort to translate Very Happy . I'm waiting for WKW's 4-hr version Wink .

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I'm still waiting to see loads of deleted scenes from "2046"! Where are they?
Jamaica

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: THE GRANDMASTER Brings Class to the Ip Man Legend Reply with quote

http://twitchfilm.com/2013/01/review-the-grandmaster-ip-man.html

Review: THE GRANDMASTER Brings Class to the Ip Man Legend
James Marsh, Asian Editor

Wong Kar Wai, Hong Kong Cinema's most prestigious auteur, finally delivers his long-gestating biopic of Wing Chun pioneer Ip Man, and it proves an action-packed visual feast. Light on narrative, but oozing Wong's trademark elegance, the film weaves the director's familiar themes of love, loss and the corrosive nature of time around some of the most gorgeous martial arts sequences ever filmed.

The Grandmaster has been a project so long in the works that for some it may qualify as the most-anticipated film of the new Millennium. It was way back in 2002 that Wong Kar Wai and leading man Tony Leung Chiu Wai called a press conference to declare their intentions. It was more than 18 months ago that the first teaser trailer for the film was released, featuring - as it transpires - footage from the film's opening scene: a rain-soaked street fight between a trilby-sporting Leung and a dozen faceless assailants. As recently as last month, the film's release date was pushed back (again) from 18 December to early January and Wong was still putting the final touches to the film mere hours before its world premiere in Beijing on 6 January.

The story begins in Foshan province, where at the age of 40, Ip Man (Tony Leung) is happily married to a beautiful, doting wife (Korean actress Song Hye-kyo), lives off a healthy inheritance, and has continued the family legacy of advocating Wing Chun, a simplified yet remarkably effective form of kung-fu. At the Golden Pavilion, a local brothel patronised by many of the region's finest martial artists, North-eastern Grandmaster Gong (Wang Qingxiang) challenges the best Southerner to a fight, before he returns North. After seeing off his rivals from the other local martial arts schools, Ip Man comes forward, only to demonstrate that intelligence and restraint can prove as powerful weapons as kung fu. Ip insists that Northern and Southern martial arts can co-exist peacefully, and Gong leaves humbled, yet satisfied.

Master Gong's daughter, Gong Er (Zhang Ziyi) is less satisfied, however, and returns to challenge Ip Man herself. During their fight, they share the briefest moment of attraction, awakening a forbidden yearning within them both. Gong Er returns home, only to discover that her father's best student, Ma Shan (Cheung Chi Lam), refuses to accept his master's defeat, and kills him. Gong's dying wish is that the two reconcile and marry, as the last remaining practitioners of Gong's revered 64 Hands technique. However, Gong Er vows to have her revenge.

While it may sound like The Grandmaster features a lot of plot for a Wong Kar Wai film, this really isn't the case. The film spans many years, including the Japanese occupation and Sino-Japanese War, but in a refreshing break from recent Chinese cinematic trends, the conflict goes largely ignored. As with all Wong's films, the characters are the primary focus, and how they struggle to interact through the veneer of society, honour, and their own self-imposed need to starve themselves of happiness.

There is clearly a much longer film here. Reports abound that until very recently, Wong had a four-hour cut of the film, while the version that goes on general release in Hong Kong and China this week clocks in at about 130 minutes. Perhaps the biggest victim of this drastic re-editing is Chang Chen. Given third billing, as well as his own character poster, his character probably only manages about ten minutes of screen time and only appears in three scenes. Zhao Benshan's worldly-wise father figure gets even less screen time to the extent his role in the film proves almost entirely pointless.

Chang's character, known only as "The Razor", is first seen on a train, fleeing from the Chinese army. Bleeding, and brandishing a cutthroat razor blade, Gong Er sees him and instinctively shields him from the search party. This moment teases at a possible romance between the two youngsters, not to mention reunites Zhang and Chang onscreen for the first time since Ang Lee's Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. We anticipate their next encounter, and how it could complicate Gong Er's relationship with Ip Man, but even after both characters make the move to Hong Kong, The Razor never meets any of the principals again.

Many of the recurring themes that Wong allows to permeate his work resurface in The Grandmaster. Characters have fleeting encounters that are never built upon, but which continue to haunt them for years afterwards. Time proves once again to be everyone's greatest enemy, not only causing people to grow old, but also to forget the things they held most dear - and in this film particularly, the idea that age makes them weak, and less able to defend themselves plagues them relentlessly. Because, of course, for all its melancholy musing and forlorn contemplation, this is a film about martial artists and The Grandmaster is one hell of a beautiful kung fu movie.

Action choreographer Yuen Woo Ping repeatedly dazzles us with his intensity and imagination, staging a number of standout fight sequences throughout the film that are captured exquisitely by Philippe Le Sourd's ravishing cinematography. Screen legends like Bruce Leung Siu Lung and Cung Le push Tony Leung to the limits of his newfound prowess, while Zhang Ziyi and Cheung Chi Lam are also thoroughly convincing fighters on screen. But the staging of the action in The Grandmaster is a far cry from the kung fu in Wong's last martial arts venture, 1994's Ashes of Time. That film instilled a magical quality into its action, coupled with that blurry slo-mo camerawork Chris Doyle favoured at the time. In The Grandmaster, we see everything, and the fights themselves are shot almost as elegant courtships, dictated by ritual, ceremony and mutual respect, or when Zhang's character is involved, a breathless sensuality that only heightens the tension between opponents. Frankie Chan's gorgeous score is another highlight, complemented by an array of songs and classical pieces ranging from 1950s Canto-pop ballads to Ennio Morricone's theme from Once Upon A Time in America - a film that is evoked on numerous occasions throughout.

While admittedly Wong Kar Wai hasn't set himself a very difficult target, it seems extremely likely that The Grandmaster will prove to be the most financially successful film of his career. The anticipation alone should ensure enough tickets are pre-sold to take him most of the way, but the fact that the film is actually really good to boot should help see it do healthy box office both here and overseas. That said, audiences primed by the Donnie Yen/Wilson Yip collaborations who approach this film looking for another dose of nationalistic breast-beating and old-school chop socky action stand a good chance of leaving disappointed.

The Grandmaster remains first and foremost a Wong Kar Wai film, employing a very slow, deliberate pace throughout and dedicates long periods of time to watching its characters ponder the great mysteries of life, or more often, wallow in their own regrets and missed opportunities. But this is interspersed by some truly fantastic action, which should delight kung fu fans and arthouse cinephiles alike. In The Grandmaster, Wong Kar Wai has crafted the best-looking martial arts film since Zhang Yimou's Hero, and the most successful marriage of kung fu and classic romance since Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, and is more than deserving of that film's measure of international success.
Safran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for posting, Jamaica Very Happy .....A very informative and positive article thumbleft
Awaiting eagerly to watch love

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I avoided reading most of it. Lol! Specific details, anyway. I want to be surprised as much as possible, especially as it sounds like a typical WKW film.
- Jamaica
mary

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you to Jenny and Jamaica

Thanks for sharing, very informative.

As already mentioned in a different post hope I get the chance to see this great film.

What a shame so much had to be cut hope we all have the chance to see the deleted scenes. Films shouldn't be cut just to suit a certain film time length it should be up to the director if he feels some scenes need to go. I don't want any of our idols hard work missed on the screen.

Best wishes...Mary
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> The Latest Tony News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: