TONYLEUNG.INFO
THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)

THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD

Screenings of Japan Report
Goto page 1, 2  Next

www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> The Latest Tony News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nancix**

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: Screenings of Japan Report

Writton by nancix
English translation by KiKi&nancix

The Big typhoon brought TONY Leung to Japan! (Or TONY brought the typhoon?)

Whatever the case it is, TONY finally came to Japan shortly after typhoon and earthquake had gone.

It was another stormy week for fans in Japan.

On 17th July, the Japanese press and the news website revealed "TONY Leung will come to Tokyo to make stage appearance on 19th July for his latest film "Confession of Pain promotion."

It was the sudden unexpected news for all of us.  

A friend of mine rushed to the movie theater immediately to buy the tickets.
The first thing I did was to let my friends, as many as possible, know the news by e-mail and i-mode(Japanese mobilephone's SMS). At lunchtime, I ran into the Internet Cafe and updated my blog to post the TONY's Japan visit.

He was planned to appear on stage at two movie theaters, one of which is located at the center of Tokyo, the tickets were gone quickly.
The other one is a largemovie theater complex located in the suburbs, having a capacity of 400.
There are a lot of TONY fans in Japan but most of them have a full time job.
Although they are desperate to see TONY Leung, it is difficult for them to take a day off at such a short notice.

I was worried whether the 400 seats would be filled by the day.
It was my wish to welcome TONY in the packed venue with big applause.
I also contacted Hong Kong movie fans, scrambling day and night for making the house full.

I went to Tokyo on 18th, the day before of the event. TONY also arrived from Beijing same day.

In the morning of 19th, I heard that the big movie theater in YOKOHAMA was soldout. Oh! Good news. He will come to the movie theater packed with fans who can't wait to see TONY Leung!

He made three screenings; one was in YOKOHAMA and two in TOKYO.

The first appearance was in YOKOHAMA.
Unfortunately, I couldn't go to the movie theater in YOKOHAMA but some of my friends did.
According to them, he looked a bit nervous but talked a lot.
The stage was marked with a white tape, he tread firmly on the position to make sure where he stood.

I was waiting for TONY in the other movie theater in HIBIYA.

When I heard his first word "Hello". I was almost in tears.
In this forum, TONY posted a message" I would like to say hello to all my Japanese fans & I really want to meet them in Tokyo." He carried out his promise to Japanese fans.

He was in very short hair and tanned skin looked so slim, particularly his jaw area was sharper than before.
He wore a shiny silver gray suits and purplish silk shirt with the black belt but the trousers looked rather bigger than his size.

this is not my photo...sorry Wink

After the greeting, he spoke in Cantonese.
The MC, a lady in her thirties, asked him to give a simple message to the fans who came all the way to see him.
TONY said "大家好!(Hello everyone), I'm so happy to see you all"

She said "It is really simple, isn't it?"
Then TONY continued, "In the future, I would like to have more opportunities like this, I want to have direct communication with my fans."

TONY and MC carried on talking as follows;

MC: "You surprised Japanese fans by playing a villain for the first time. How did you think about playing the villain?"

TONY:" I have never played this kind of role before.
I have been challenging new things and it was a new and different experience for me.
I assume the audience finds it new and different as well."

MC: "But you are smiling now, your image is definitely not a murderer.
Did you have a hard time to get into the character?"

TONY: "I am not a violent guy, it was really hard for me to play a violent scene,
I was afraid of hurting the opposite. Actually, I didn't hit the guy with the Buddha statue.I asked the director to hit instead of me, so it was his hand on the scene. Now, I must confess the hand in the most violent scene of the film is not mine.
It was the director Andrew Law's hand".

TONY laughed.We laughed,too.
Yes,We knows. TONY is an owner in the tenderly heart. After shooting, He gently raised a senior actor Mr.岳華Ngok Wah in his arms. I was impressed to find this scene from "CoP"'s Hongkong Ver.DVD.

MC: "One of the main themes of the film is the pain of the character.
Lau was trying to heal his pain by revenging.
Do you have any painful experience in your life?"

I was concerned.
TONY has been living for 45 years.
We know he has sad or painful experience in his life, but it must be a tip of ice berg. Is it fair to ask him to talk about the pain in front of the audience?
If I were him, I wouldn't....

TONY responded,
"I am not a person who takes my revenge on someone. I always forgive others.
I forgive other people, that means I can forgive myself, which brings peace of mind in my life. "Forgiveness" is a theme of this film, we can think about forgiveness through this film."

MC: "Set in Hong Kong in 2003, the film also depicts the dark side of the town. Is Hong Kong a town with what meaning for you?"

I felt the question difficult. It is difficult to explain to others how I also feel hometown.

TONY paused for seconds with the microphone in his hand and mumbled "Mmmmmmmmm....."
What a cute gesture!

TONY : "This question makes me sad every time.Hong Kong is no longer the town it used to be. I was born and bred in Hong Kong, but good old Hong Kong no longer exists as Star ferry(天星小輪), old Kawloon station(九龍站), many parks and old-fashion chinese-cafe(茶餐廳) have been replaced.My old Hong Kong is no longer there but stays in my mind forever."

MC: "Recently, we had a large earthquake in Japan. Many people lose their houses or go through a hard time. Would you give a message for people who are suffered by the earth quake?"

Obviously, TONY is not a diplomat.I wondered what he was going to say.

TONY: "Today, the science technology has been developed significantly.But human beings are so vulnerable when natural disasters hit.
I pray for survivors to regain their quiet life as soon as possible.
I hope they will stand up again for positive life, and forget such a bitter memory one day."

I'm a survivor of Great Hanshin-Awaji Earthquake occurred 12 years ago.
I still cannot get rid of the fear completely.
To tell the truth, when I watched the recent earthquake on TV,I recalled the fear of the moment vividly and suffered insomnia again.
I was so thrilled and excited about the news of the TONY's Japan visit, then I have kept myself busy for a while, which swept away my fear and pain.
Thank you for warm message. TONY.

TONY started talking spontaneously.
"In "Confession of Pain" I played a role which I have hardly experienced in my acting career. This is the role I have been hoping to play. I am looking forward to showing you another new character I play quite soon."

Yes! We can't wait to see Mr. Yee of "Lust, Caution" Zhou Yu of "The Battle of Red cliff".

In the end, TONY said "Thank you so much. I will come back to Japan soon. See you again."  
That is all about the second screening.

to be continued....

Last edited by nancix** on Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:49 am; edited 4 times in total
nancix**

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject:

After the second screenings, I could see the last screening as well.

He greeted the fans and said I am very happy to see you in Tokyo, then MC touched upon the video message shown at the Japan Premiere on 4th Japan.
That time,TONY said: "Takeshi Kanesiro、Andrew Lau、You guys every come,So work harder.I'm not every come,So work Harder, and play harder, and eat more SUSHI,SAKE, and last, Thank you very much for giving me a chance to work with you guys,you guys is GREAT!"

Now,TONY said "It was the voice of my mind" ,everyone laughed.
MC asked "TONY,You are in Japan now, aren't you?"
TONY answered: "Yes, I went out to eat SUSHI last night"
"Was it delicious?" she asked as if asking a small kid.
TONY replied in Japanese "OISHII" (Delicious!) and smiled happily.
The audience clapped the hands loudly.
Everyone knows he is working on "The Battle of Red cliff" under tough conditions.

Lucky enough, Tokyo was very cool for this time of the year during his stay.
Everyone hoped TONY could take a short break in Tokyo and go back to the shooting.

MC continued:"Takeshi Kaneshiro told us he had been too nervous to look TONY in the eye. Is it true? He didn't look you in the eye?"

TONY replied:"That's right, he won't look me in the eye when we shot a scene together. He was very nervous. I thought it was because we didn't know each other or he might have heard of a strange rumor about me".

Strange rumor? What? We puzzled.
He continued:"For instance, I can emit an electric beam from my eye. I can kill or allure someone by eyebeam.No, it is not true at all. I want to ask you all, what do you think? Are you afraid of me?"
NO! Everyone shook their heads.

MC Said: "But we all are allured by your beautiful eyes!"
TONY with a shy smile replied: "No I won't. I am not thinking to allure anybody....",

He continued: "Me and Takeshi have worked for a same film before. At that time, we didn't get close because both of us are so quite and didn't talk much. He might be nervous to act with me this time again. But he is an excellent actor. He got used to the shooting very soon and got close with me".

"Got close with you?" MC asked curiously.

"This time, I was fascinated by his eyebeam."
WOW! Everyone laughed. TONY added immediately"Of course I tell a joke"
That was a nice joke. We love it!

MC: "Chief Lau劉正煕 is the first villain for you.The director is Andrew Lau and Alan Mak who created "Infernal Affairs".Do you find it comfortable to work on a film with same director?"
TONY: "We are very close off screen. We talk a lot, like " I want to play this and that."
"I have an idea about my next film like this, etc."We are always so close. When we work on a film together, We understand each other without words."

MC: "This film is going to be a remake of Hollywood.
"The Departed" is a remake of "Infernal affairs" which won Academy Awards "Best Motion Picture of the Year". I imagine your Japanese fans feel chagrined a bit. What do you think about a remake of the film?
"

TONY: "It is difficult to compare the original and the remake, each of which has different cultural background in a different region or country.
The Departed made by Martin Scorsese has unique original style and depicts each character elaborately. Infernal Affairs, the HK version, is very stylish and sensuous."

MC: "Do you think we should pay attention to sensual parts of this film(CoP) too?"
TONY: "I guess so. I think you will find it new and different because I played as a villain which I have never been before. I hope you like my challenge. But this is only a new start for me, I want to develop my career and grow more as an actor."

I was impressed by his word. At the age of 45, he is still trying to grow as an actor. In other words, we will encounter new aspects in his acting.
TONY, we are looking forward to seeing your new acting!

MC: "Lastly, can you give a message to the audience here today."
TONY:" I want to come back to Japan to see you all fact to face.I will be back with new film and different role. See you again in Japan".

The audience gave affectionate applause.
Some women stood up and tried to follow him.
TONY was pointing the screen with his finger implying "Watch my film,Watch,Please!" without speaking.

In Japan, it is a norm to hold a premiere show in the stadium or big convention center, with a lot of people invited.
In such a situation, a director and actors are not allowed to speak as much as they want to. This time, we could see TONY in two cozy theaters, with a capacity of 400 and 150 respectively. We enjoyed listening to a lot of his real voice.

I suppose he has more matured and appealing than he held a screening of "In the mood of Love花様年華" in Osaka seven years ago. Also, I was pleased to know his thoughts for his home town Hong Kong.
Personally, I had never been in Hong Kong before 1990.
All I can do now is to imagine the nostalgic retrospect Hong Kong through old Hongkong films or Photo book. I want to know more about old Hong Kong in his mind.
KOBE-city, my home town, was destroyed 12 years ago by the big earthquake. I miss my old KOBE although I love the town as it is today.
Today, he won't go out and walk in the town where paparazzis are waiting. It must be difficult for him to notice changes for better....

I wish this fabulous screenings could have been held in the weekend, not in the middle of week. They had to postpone it because of the big typhoon.
As a result, many fans are forced to give up seeing real Tony Leung chiu-wai.But a lot of fans were pleased at the fact Tony came to Japan as he promised.
Many of them are still going to movie theater to go through the pain and anger of Chief Lau劉正煕 as if savoring a glass of whisky.
I will go back to KOBE-CITY's local movie theater and think about "forgiveness" which is an assignment Tony has given us.

Next day afternoon, he left for Beijing with his assistant from Narita airport.

TONY, Thank you for coming Japan,really!!

You were The Wonderful ambassador movie and television of HongKong. Good as gold!
And thank info and Sandy. This forum for making I was able to deliver "Voice of my mind" to TONY.

At"Happy Together"'s long long shooting, Only I pray Tony's health at half a world away.That time,Christopher Doyle came to my hometown KOBE-CITY's movie festival. I want to make a snatch him,and shout "Return our TONY to Hong Kong!!!"....Of course I don't shout, I only sit down keep quiet in Doyle's talk-show's hall seat, I put a question to Doyle..."Can you tell me when you might expect to end filming?"..hehehehe...If this forum existed at that time, I was able to encourage him Razz  Now,we are HAPPY....!

Last edited by nancix** on Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:00 am; edited 7 times in total
summertime

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the translation nancix Smile
nancix**

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject:

Hi,summertime.

No,No, My pal's KiKi translated most.
She is wonderful and high-speed translator Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:20 pm    Post subject:

Thank you very much Nancix and Kiki for those tidbits of information about our beloved Tony. I agree with you, this is the first time I also get to know how Tony feels about Hong Kong.

Thanks again, and take care Nancix!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:46 am    Post subject:

Thanks for sharing with us. I am glad that Tony finally can make it. Hope you don't mind I copied the report to Tony's schedule section.
karengoh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:22 am    Post subject:

Thanks Nancix and Kiki for sharing with us this very informative write up on Tony's visit to Japan.

I find he is very genuine with his answers.

Very true he keep his promise to his fans. My respect towards him increase another level. Its another level of understanding him on his feeling on his homeland Hongkong.

I am very glad to know he did not use his own hand in CoP murder scene. LOL

I really enjoy reading this.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:30 am    Post subject:

Nancix and Kiki, thanks for more detailed report.

I wish I could recall my memory more, especially the one in Yokohama, but my memories are all mixed up, so I am not sure what else Tony said only in Yokohama. Rolling Eyes
nancix**

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:37 am    Post subject:

Hi,Marsha:
marsha wrote:
I agree with you, this is the first time I also get to know how Tony feels about Hong Kong.

I also heard him talk about Hong Kong for the first time in real time. However, a very delicate nerve is necessary so that he may talk about Hong Kong or China now. I hope for his word not to be misunderstood. He only frankly talked about his feelings for Japanese(not chinese) audience.

Hi,Info!:
Thanks! We think it is honored.

Hi,karengoh:
karengoh wrote:
Very true he keep his promise to his fans.
Yes,I also feel it so. I'm fight back tears of joy.

Hi,Eri:
Thanks you! I referred to your wonderful report. Because I seemed also to confuse the screenings of Tokyo once or twice,too.I wanted also to go to Yokohama. However, I haven't understood travel time from there to Hibiya. and I didn't have the courage that enter the movie theater on the way... Sad

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject:

Oh no, I didn't know he was visiting Tokyo. I am sorry to have missed seeing him.
summertime

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:41 am    Post subject:

Hi nancix,

Thank you to KiKi as well.

It's such a shame about the Star Ferry pier. When I was in HK last year, I took the ferry and tram all the time, and am now glad I did.

I gave a colleague of mine a mini itinerary when he had a a few hours stopover in HK last year, including crossing the harbour on the ferry from Tsim Sha Tsui to Central. However, he wasn't able to do it because that night was the last night for the pier, and he didn't have enough time because of the crowds. Too bad, I really wanted him to have that experience.

Sigh . . . I took it for granted that that ferry route would always be the same forever . . . Sad
Info

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:49 am    Post subject:

The Star Ferry route is still running, just that the pier in Central...a part of old Hong Kong...has been demolished.
Kiki

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:08 am    Post subject:

Hi girls,

I am one of the poor fans who couldn't go to see Tony's stage appearance Crying .

There were too many adverse factors to make an arrangement; the announcement was short-noticed, the event was held in the mid week afternoon, and the venues were located 500 km away from my place.

However, despite of the unfavorable conditions, I should have gone. Working on translation for nancix, I realized what a miss out I made! I almost kicked myself cussing .....

Comparing all the efforts TONY made, squeezing time during film shooting, travelling from the remote side of Beijing, and catching up with the schedule after going back to the set, mine is not a big deal...I kept mourning to myself.

Now, it is time to snap out of it! TONY said he will be back to Japan next year. I should get ready for snap decision making and quick action!

Paul,

I thought you had known it because someone posted the information in "Communication with Tony". It was the sudden, unexpected news for us. It is shame you missed TONY.... Never mind, he will come back next year. As we all know, he is a guy worth waiting for thumbright
nancix**

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:03 am    Post subject:

Info wrote:
The Star Ferry route is still running, just that the pier in Central...a part of old Hong Kong...has been demolished.

Yes, Star ferry is still running.

However, there is no wharf that appeared in the last scene of "He Ain't Heavy,He' s My Father 新難兄難弟" any longer now. Recently, Central's Starferry pier moved, too. (I was very perplexed to finding a new pier in January this year.... ) Mr.Chow Yun Fat's having shown up in people who opposed the demolition of the terminal also made news.

Moreover, the body of Star ferry is also different now in 1960-70's.
http://www.starferry.com.hk/new/en/index.asp
It's Starferry's company website.Please show photogallery. Which is the ferry that Tony feel nostalgic?

Always I went to Hongkong, I take the Star ferry without fail. I look at the night view of the Hong Kong island from on ship. This is very sentimental time for me.

Oh,Paul, Do you live in Japan? I thought while you were traveling around Japan or a business trip in Japan at short time. I will have informed you of this good news if I knew that you stayed in Japan. Sorry. Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:22 am    Post subject:

Dear Kiki,

Thank you so much for translating Nancix's report for us, so that all of us here could share the joy and the wonderful moments.

It's a pity that you missed the chance this time, but as you said, Tony will definitely come back to Japan again, and you will have your moment. Very Happy
   www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> The Latest Tony News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: