TONYLEUNG.INFO
THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)

THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD

The Little Prince

www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Announcement
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sandy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 11:34 pm    Post subject: The Little Prince

I did a back of the book index for this beloved children classic for an indexing project.

For those of you have not read it, this is a MUST READ. For those of you who have read it before, it's still wonderful to read it every couple years. This never grows old.

I had to scan the book to turn it in as a part of the assignment. Here is the pdf file. I will make the link available for a few days before taking it off.

http://www.tonyleung.org/TheLittlePrince.pdf

Citation:
de Saint-Exupery, Antoine (2000) The little prince (Richard Howard Trans.) San Diego : Harcourt. (Original work published 1943).

Enjoy!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: The Little Prince

Sandy wrote:
I did a back of the book index for this beloved children classic for an indexing project.

what's your major Sandy? btw thanks for the link.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 6:54 pm    Post subject:

Sandy, i've downloaded the file, but when i opened it in my Acrobat reader it said "There was a problem opening this file (9)". then it asked "suppress further errors?" or something like that, and i clicked Yes, but the document's still corrupt. I repeated the procedure and this time chose No, but no difference. Do you know what's the problem?
Sandy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 9:46 pm    Post subject:

Anonymous wrote:
Sandy, i've downloaded the file, but when i opened it in my Acrobat reader it said "There was a problem opening this file (9)". then it asked "suppress further errors?" or something like that, and i clicked Yes, but the document's still corrupt. I repeated the procedure and this time chose No, but no difference. Do you know what's the problem?

You need acrobat 6 reader to open it. I scanned it with the latest software.

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

I guess I mention it before, but I am studying for my MLIS degree now. For those you who don't know, MLIS stands for Master of Library and Information Science. I have about one semester left. Though lately I am thinking of getting another advance degree. I guess I must be getting a bit crazy. Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 9:58 pm    Post subject:

thanks and good luck for your study.
Diane

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 6:38 pm    Post subject: MLIS

Hey Sandy,

I have a MLS too. Glad to know that you'll be one of "us" soon!

I can tell you being a librarian/researcher was one of the best decisions I made in my life. I agree with you that "Le Petit Prince" is one of the "must read" books in our generation.

Best of luck in your studies!

Diane
Sandy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: MLIS

Diane wrote:
Hey Sandy,

I have a MLS too. Glad to know that you'll be one of "us" soon!

I can tell you being a librarian/researcher was one of the best decisions I made in my life. I agree with you that "Le Petit Prince" is one of the "must read" books in our generation.

Best of luck in your studies!

Cheers!
Diane

Thanks for such encouraging words from a fellow librarian! For the most part, people who are in Library Science because they have a strong desire to serve, and to help other people.

I think for the most part, all the librarians I have met are all very nice and kind. Although I am now having some second thoughts on Academic librarians since there are so much politics involved in a large Academic libraries. I guess that's true in any large organizations.

Although I have yet to decide what to do with my degree, I love all my course works. I especially enjoyed the information organization/retrieval part of the course work. My favorites are the thesaurus, vocabulary design, indexing classes. These are intellectually stimulating. On the projects of building hierarchy relationships, I felt as if I am recreating the world, redefining every relationship there is to know. To borrow one of the quotes - “An engineer takes a problem and fixes it. A humanist takes a problem and celebrates its complexity.”
Tony Grrl

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: MLIS

Sandy wrote:
Thanks for such encouraging words from a fellow librarian! For the most part, people who are in Library Science because they have a strong desire to serve, and to help other people.

I think for the most part, all the librarians I have met are all very nice and kind. Although I am now having some second thoughts on Academic librarians since there are so much politics involved in a large Academic libraries. I guess that's true in any large organizations.

Although I have yet to decide what to do with my degree, I love all my course works. I especially enjoyed the information organization/retrieval part of the course work. My favorites are the thesaurus, vocabulary design, indexing classes. These are intellectually stimulating. On the projects of building hierarchy relationships, I felt as if I am recreating the world, redefining every relationship there is to know. To borrow one of the quotes - “An engineer takes a problem and fixes it. A humanist takes a problem and celebrates its complexity.”

What another Librarian me too! I qualified as a Librarian way back in 1988. I took a degree BA Hons in Librarianship and Information Studies in London. I wanted to go on to do a Masters but it was not to be...ah well never mind..I suppose it is not too late. Wink

Still, it is funny you should mention indexing as I was thinking of doing an indexing course and becoming a registered member of The Society of Indexers. Idea
Having kids and getting divorced put a halt to my career but if I could become a registered indexer I could work from home!

When I was working in an international London law firm, I constructed an Online Thesaurus. This firm was a top ten law firm and have offices all over the world including Beijing and Hong Kong. Never a chance of me getting sent over there to work though Sad

If I started working as an indexer I would have to give up these message boards though.
Hard enough to find time to be having fun online as it is! Laughing

Office politics is what spoilt things for me though. I am not very good at spotting when someone is trying to put one over me and I got sidelined.
It is a very tricky business.
Personally, I would be more happy working from home as an indexer or doing a cataloguers job somewhere. In the future we may have to move to Edinburgh so that I can find work. In about 3 years time.

I think on the whole though that people at work in the LIS field are OK the problems arise when you get non LIS people holding the purse strings and making promotion decisions.

Anyway, lets always look on the bright side and with that ditty running through our information packed brains...I wish you both the very best of luck for the future!!! Very Happy study study study

TLCW Fan UK
Diane

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 7:47 am    Post subject: A Lifetime of Learning

Sandy and Sheila,

I finished my MLS in 1998 and have been working in corporate libraries since graduation. (Sandy, I should have met up with you in NY during SLA since I live in NY!) I have to admit there's a lot of politics in corporations and I am not very good with that either but there's a lot of job satisfaction as well!

I am of course of big fan of Tony, Maggie and the rest of Wong Kar Wai crew. I did meet Chris Doyle a few years back when the team was out promoting "Happy Together". Most librarians I know are very much into films and filmmaking (including me).

A warm welcome to the profession and to a lifetime of learning!

Diane
Sandy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 1:34 pm    Post subject:

Wow, another librarian on the board! Sheila, I never knew! It's never too late to go back school or pursue something you are interested in. I bet you will be a great indexer. Very Happy

Diane - corporate librarian... It could be very rewarding if you find the right company, unfortunately, thesedays companies are so greedy that corporate librarians are been slashed left and right. I knew a head librarian who used to work for Apple for 17 years before Steve Jobs came back and booted the entire camp of 15 library staffs. It's quite merciless when corporation wants to save a buck or two.

If I only knew you then, we would be meeting in NYC! Actually I am going to San Diego beginning of the year for the MidWinter ALA Conference. If you happen to be going, let me know! It's always nice to meet new friends, especially another fellow movie buff!
   www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Announcement All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: