TONYLEUNG.INFO
THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)

THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD

Any idea Sandy?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Announcement
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qing

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 4:06 am    Post subject: Any idea Sandy?

I realise that everytime I attempt to post a comment, the screen "Invalid Session" will appear. It happens all the time. I can't get anything up. On top of that, I often get automatically logged out too in less than 5 mins. This is strange as I use broadband, unlimited access connection, not dialup. I would like to know if there is a reason why these are happening?
Would really appreciate if you could help. Thanks.
qing

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 4:10 am    Post subject:

But once in a while by fluke, I manage to get something posted. I suspect it's my comp but am not sure.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 9:20 am    Post subject:

I had the same experience with you too. Sometimes 'Invalid Session"
Sandy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Any idea Sandy?

qing wrote:
I realise that everytime I attempt to post a comment, the screen "Invalid Session" will appear. It happens all the time. I can't get anything up. On top of that, I often get automatically logged out too in less than 5 mins. This is strange as I use broadband, unlimited access connection, not dialup. I would like to know if there is a reason why these are happening?
Would really appreciate if you could help. Thanks.

That's a peculiar behavior, but apparently it's happening to both of you. Can you give me a rough idea what browser and operating system you are using? I will check phpBB documentation to see if I could troubleshoot the problem.

I have access to this board using IE 6 from WIN2000, and WIN XP machine from home, work, and school computers. They seem to be working fine. However, I can only speak for myself. Since there are so many variation of the browsers out there, it could generate unexpected error.

I will also looking into PhpBB support forum and see if others are running into the same issues. Thanks for bringing it up.
qing

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 9:29 pm    Post subject:

I access this board using IE 6 also, with a WIN XP Comp at home. Thanks alot for your help Sandy. Much appreciated. I will just continue to try posting stuff. See if there is any changes.
Sandy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 9:31 pm    Post subject:

qing wrote:
I access this board using IE 6 also, with a WIN XP Comp at home. Thanks alot for your help Sandy. Much appreciated. I will just continue to try posting stuff. See if there is any changes.

Hi qing,

I would like you to test this board for me now. I have upgraded the board to the latest 2.06. According to the phpBB documentation, the Invalid Session should go away after installing the upgrade.

A little technical note for those of you who are curious why it happened - this Invalid Session has been a common occurance due to the fact that large ISPs are using proxy farm. A user browsing the web may be switched between these proxy machines from one page to another (to help distribute load), with the IP changing as they go.

Since PhpBB are using IP to track user's session, this inevitably messes up the tracking system. That's why you get invalid session every 5 minutes or so.

Please give me some feedback after you test it. Thank you.

Sandy
qing

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 12:39 am    Post subject:

Sigh...No change Sandy
I tried to post something on several threads. Everytime I clicked "submit", the screen invalid session appears again. It seems I am the only one facing this prob. And its strange how I can post on this thread but have problems with the others.
Thanks for your help Sandy. Maybe its my comp but I really dunno whats the prob.
qing

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 12:41 am    Post subject:

You see Sandy!
Haha! I don't undestand why I can only post on this thread! Smile
I am pretty amused actually... Ah well... guess I will just keep trying on the other threads...
Thanks.
Sandy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 9:27 pm    Post subject:

qing wrote:
Sigh...No change Sandy
I tried to post something on several threads. Everytime I clicked "submit", the screen invalid session appears again. It seems I am the only one facing this prob. And its strange how I can post on this thread but have problems with the others.
Thanks for your help Sandy. Maybe its my comp but I really dunno whats the prob.

I am not sure either. This is getting pretty strange. I actually did another search on phpBB community boards. It seems that upgrading to 2.06 solved the problem for some people, but not all.

Another possible solution is to increase Session length. I did just that. Give it a try, qing.

If this is not solving your problem, then I will have to manually change the code (that could take more time to investigate). I hope it's not that complicated.

Thanks for putting up with it. By any chance you are using AOL? It seems to be a popular issue with AOL users (according to the postings that I found on phpBB community board).
Sandy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 9:34 pm    Post subject:

Sandy wrote:

Thanks for putting up with it. By any chance you are using AOL? It seems to be a popular issue with AOL users (according to the postings that I found on phpBB community board).

Oops, I should check before writing out this message. You have a Singapore IP address. Never mind the AOL remarks. But it seems that your IPs are constantly changing when you post. (Your ISP provider is definitely doing a proxy farm to balance the load here.)

I believe that by extending the session length, you should be alright for now. Instead of timing out every 5 minutes, now you can stay around about 15-20 minutes before the script goes out and validate your IP again.

Hope it works. Smile

One more thing - qing, if you run into problems again, can you clean out your cookies and log into the site again. See if that will help. You can delete cookies by going to Tools>Internet Options>Delete Cookies. (unfortunately this deletes all cookies, so be aware of that before doing it.)
Susie*

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 10:18 pm    Post subject:

I don't know if my experience helps in solving qing's problem, but I get the "invalid session" only if my connection gets disconnected. But since qing is on broadband, technically she is constantly connected.

Does broadband users ever experience disconnections that dial-up users commonly experience?

I don't have my cookies enabled for surfing this site and apparently that setting doesn't interfere with either my reading or posting messages or for that matter, logging in when I choose to do so.

Well, I just tried to post this message and got a page does not display. But I occasionally get that problem with other sites. Persistence!
qing

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 2:22 am    Post subject:

Hey sandy
I cleared my cookies, think it's helping a little but I'm still facing the problem. I tried to post a new topic and I could. But when I tried to comment on the other threads, I still got Invalid Session.
Thanks alot for your patience and help. Really appreciate it. I will keep updating you if i see any improvements.
And also thanks susie. Wink
Sandy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 7:44 am    Post subject:

qing wrote:
Hey sandy
I cleared my cookies, think it's helping a little but I'm still facing the problem. I tried to post a new topic and I could. But when I tried to comment on the other threads, I still got Invalid Session.
Thanks alot for your patience and help. Really appreciate it. I will keep updating you if i see any improvements.
And also thanks susie. Wink

Okay. It's weird that you can post a new message, but not able to respond to an old thread. I will have to look that up for you. BTW, can you post as a guest? Do not login, post as a regular guest? If that works, at least we have a temporary solution. Idea
qing

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 8:01 pm    Post subject:

I tried posting on some old threads again. The problem seems to occur intermittently. Some threads I have no problems, others I do. I dunno if the problem will become worse or better later...
Posting as a guest makes no difference. I tried doing that before. Invalid Session occurs whether or not I log in.
Maybe it has something to do with my server. I am not good with comp stuff so I apologize that I am not of much help.
But thanks again Sandy. Smile
qing

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 6:44 am    Post subject:

hey sandy, jus to let you know, there seems to be an improvement. I can get some posts on the threads already.
   www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Announcement All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: