TONYLEUNG.INFO
THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)

THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD

Cannes winner Tony Leung impressed with Ang Lee's organizati

www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> The Latest Tony News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
summertime

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Cannes winner Tony Leung impressed with Ang Lee's organizati

Dec 19, 3:02 AM EST

Cannes winner Tony Leung impressed with Ang Lee's organization, immersion on set

By MIN LEE
AP Entertainment Writer

HONG KONG (AP) -- Cannes best actor winner Tony Leung Chiu-wai says he's impressed with director Ang Lee's organization and immersion on the set of Lee's new spy thriller.

Leung has been shooting "Lust, Caution" in Shanghai, marking his first collaboration with Lee, who won this year's best director Oscar for the gay romance "Brokeback Mountain."

"He prepares a lot more than we do, and the way he works resembles the Hollywood system more. He's very systematic - you have to accomplish what you set out to do," Leung said on Tuesday at a news conference for another movie, "Confession of Pain."

Lee "has a Chinese quality but he uses a Western system," the Hong Kong actor said.

Leung said Lee gives very explicit directions.

"He's very direct. He'll ask you whether you can do something. Either you can or you can't. You have to tell him," he said.

The actor said Lee is unusual in that when he directs an actor, he's totally immersed that character's world.

"I've never seen a director (before) who will try to simulate your character," Leung said.

"Lust, Caution," based on a 26-page short story by famed Chinese writer Eileen Chang, is about a group of patriotic students who plot to assassinate the intelligence chief in the Japanese-backed Chinese government during the World War II era.

Leung plays the intelligence chief. The movie also features Chinese-American pop star Leehom Wang, veteran Chinese actress Joan Chen and newcomer Tang Wei.

Lee's assistant said recently the director aims to finish shooting the movie in January.

Earlier, Leung said he prepared meticulously for his role in "Lust, Caution," spending two months to memorize its script, which was in the national Chinese dialect, Mandarin, not his native Cantonese.

Leung said he also spent a significant amount time preparing for his part in "Confession of Pain."

In that movie, directed by Andrew Lau and Alan Mak of "Infernal Affairs" fame, Leung plays a police officer who seeks revenge for family tragedy, a contrast to his previous roles.

"I knew this part would be part because I don't play characters like this very often. So very early on I started discussing the story, the development of the script with Alan Mak and (scriptwriter) Felix Chong," he said.

Leung is known for playing subdued characters like the introverted, melancholy writer who has a love affair with a married woman in "In the Mood for Love." That performance won him best actor honors at the Cannes Film Festival in 2000.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/A/AS_AE_MOV_TONY_LEUNG_ANG_LEE_ASOL-?SITE=ASIAONE&SECTION=SPECIAL&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2006-12-19-03-02-23
karengoh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject:

Thanks summertime fror the article.

Hmm now I look forward for Lust, Caution as I have done with Confession of Pain. I am waiting to collect the DVD of COP.
summertime

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject:

You're welcome karengoh Smile

I can't wait for Lust Caution either. You're so lucky that you got to see Confession of Pain already - I'm dying to see it on the big screen - ai-yah !!! Smile
karengoh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject:

Don't worry summertime.

Soon it will be your turn. Anyway the movie is worth waiting for.

Enjoy. Very Happy
summertime

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 7:29 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the assurance karengoh Smile

Think it will be a rather long wait for the big screen, but I'll look forward to the DVD Smile
   www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> The Latest Tony News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: