TONYLEUNG.INFO
THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)

THIS IS AN ARCHIVAL DISCUSSION BOARD (2003-2012)
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE NEW BOARD

The forum was down - now back again
Goto page 1, 2  Next

www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Announcement
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sandy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 2:34 pm    Post subject: The forum was down - now back again

Sorry it took us a while to fix the forum. It appears that the forum was under attack last friday. Our host had to block our access until we fix the forum.

Now everything is back to normal again. Please let us know if you encounter any strange behavior.

Thanks for the understanding.

Last edited by Sandy on Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
nancix

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The forum was down - now back again

Sandy wrote:
Sorry it took us a while to fix the forum. It appears that the forum was under attack last friday. Our host had to block our access until we fix the forum.
Now everything is back to normal again. Please let us know if you encounter any strange behavior.

Congratulations!
I'm grad to revival of this Discussion Board Very Happy .
I want to read the opinion of many friends in the world.
Everybody,Cheer Up! Wink
Sandy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:04 pm    Post subject:

Yes, I am glad it's fixed. The vulnerability is caused by a search exploit. It seemed that a number of Phpbb boards were attacked during the past week. The forum is now upgraded to the latest phpBB 2.0.11.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:36 pm    Post subject:

Sandy wrote:
Yes, I am glad it's fixed. The vulnerability is caused by a search exploit. It seemed that a number of Phpbb boards were attacked during the past week. The forum is now upgraded to the latest phpBB 2.0.11.

When you say search exploit, do you mean the search engines invading the sites? Like yahoo, google, MSN, etc.? I didn't know they could hamper these sites.
Sandy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:50 pm    Post subject:

Anonymous wrote:

When you say search exploit, do you mean the search engines invading the sites? Like yahoo, google, MSN, etc.? I didn't know they could hamper these sites.

There is a vulnerability on the previous version of phpbb. It was first reported in late Sept. Phpbb developers have released a patch a few weeks ago. I am not sure why someone has decided to attack this forum, but it happened on the 10th. Info contacted the host, and later alerted me today. That's how I got involved and installed patches to fix the vulnerability. I hope I am making sense here. Basically, someone used a known agent (a malicious search string) to overpower the server. The hosting company has to shut the board down because it was affecting their other services. It was a surprise to me when I found out this morning the site was down over the weekend.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:01 pm    Post subject:

You're making sense as much as someone who is technical knowledeable can understand. I confess I don't understand but I'm clueless anyway. Thanks for explaining though. I'm glad the board is back up for business. We probably needed the break so cooler heads could prevail.
a guest

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:52 pm    Post subject:

Hi guys, what's wrong with first board name???? Are we hacked??
Sandy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:33 am    Post subject:

Afraid that it is hacked. Well, let's see what's going on.
Gordon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:09 am    Post subject: Could be done by the Aussies

Especially with those racist talk!
lemonberry

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:03 pm    Post subject:

I think there's still some problem with the board. When I reply messages, it give me a message "Critical Error" and then go into a blank white page. But when I go back to check, my message would be posted (hence, there was no error). But I don't know why it gives me the error messsage.
I think that's why some people are posting twice nowaday cuz they think the first message didn't go through. Question
Sandy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 2:41 pm    Post subject:

lemonberry wrote:
I think there's still some problem with the board. When I reply messages, it give me a message "Critical Error" and then go into a blank white page. But when I go back to check, my message would be posted (hence, there was no error). But I don't know why it gives me the error messsage.
I think that's why some people are posting twice nowaday cuz they think the first message didn't go through. Question

I will have to look into that. I haven't encountered that myself though. I am flying back home tomorrow and probably will be quite busy for the next few days, but I will check up once I have some time. Thanks for letting us know.
lemonberry

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:11 pm    Post subject:

this is the message I got today after I hit submit.

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: from() in /home/tlcw/public_html/phpBB2/includes/functions_post.php on line 668
Looney Tune

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:30 pm    Post subject:

I have the same experience too.
Sandy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:31 pm    Post subject:

I am still looking at the problem. The trouble is that I have not encountered such error myself. I have been looking at the error log. It seemed that a number of people have been hit with this error message.

Question - did anyone turn on "Notify me when a reply is posted"? The email server seems to be down at this point. I am not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Please keep monitoring the errors you receive. Report error when you encounter them. Thanks!
Looney Tune

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:45 pm    Post subject:

Sandy wrote:

Question - did anyone turn on "Notify me when a reply is posted"? The email server seems to be down at this point. I am not sure if that has anything to do with it.

I didn't turn this on. I don't encounter the fatal error message everytime. It happened twice today.
   www.tonyleung.info Forum Index -> Announcement All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: